CLK 209 240 Glycol maybe issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

i.comm

Hi all

first post on here... just brought this car 2 days ago and have NOW read about the famous Glycol issue. my questions are:

is mine in the zone? it is 209361 which makes me think it isn't from some lists, but then it is a 112 engine and a 722696 box! which lists say is bad

so I had a look at the rad and can't see any lablel - do i have to take the plate off the bottom of the underside of the car to see the bottom of the rad is that where the "valeo" or otherwise sticker might be?

noticed a smaller rad in front of the main one, on the left hand side and at an agle with pipes on it - is this some sort of mod to get round the problem that's been fitted?!

hoping there a bit

thanks for your help

Hi all

first post on here... just brought this car 2 days ago and have NOW read about the famous Glycol issue. my questions are:

is mine in the zone? it is 209361 which makes me think it isn't from some lists, but then it is a 112 engine and a 722696 box! which lists say is bad

so I had a look at the rad and can't see any lablel - do i have to take the plate off the bottom of the underside of the car to see the bottom of the rad is that where the "valeo" or otherwise sticker might be?

noticed a smaller rad in front of the main one, on the left hand side and at an agle with pipes on it - is this some sort of mod to get round the problem that's been fitted?!

hoping there a bit

thanks for your help

Hi,

Sorry to hijack your post. I am a Merc newbie, so need all the help I can get!

I've also just bought a W209 240 and have noticed a problem when accelerating reasonably quickly, then taking my foot off the accelerator. The gearbox deselects the gear, and rev's upto about 4000rpm and then down to idle while the car is still moving forward.

Is this the 'Glycol' problem? Or is it something else?

Cheers

Neil

Happy for you to hijack neil. Let's hope someone knows some good answers. For me I have a beautiful car, which if I hadn't read this foru, I would have assumed was floorless. Now I'm slightly concerned.

DropDeadFred,

Yours doesn't sound like the glycol issue, its probably something else. Not sure what though.

If the original posters car is a 2004 or later then it wont have the glycol issue, IIRC.

Our W209 03 CLK240 cabriolet had a Valeo rad. on it - there's a label or if that's missing a VIN-check at a Merc. dealer should confirm. I had it swapped for a Behr rad. before any damage could be done - at 75,000 miles. The smaller rad in front is for the A/C.

Valeo were the problem radiators.. ive seen CLK C-class E-class S-class Diesel & Petrol engines with water/oil mix (glycol).The most recent car i saw with Glycol fault was a '53 CLK 200k with 49k miles, misfire was original diagnosis and oil in coolant tank.
First signs of damage are noticeable to me when either theres contamination in header tank or by driving calmly accelerating uphill gently without changing gear, it feels like something is vibrating in the back end, i.e prop wheel bearing exhaust. It can also feel like an engine misfire or gear box flaring.
If you have decent computer software to interrogate ETC (electronic trans. control) you can easily eliminate glycol faults by turing off the torque converter lock up clutch which comes in quite harshly when contaminted.
722.6 boxes were notorious for the leaky pilot bushing/electrical connector to leak oil cause low level and give signs of fault through slipping etc. Always check the oil level or for sign of leak before condemning boxes to glycol problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom