CLK 209 autobox playing up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kusanku

Car
A180cdi Avant Garde
My CLK 320cdi appears to have developed an intermittent fault with the autobox. I have noticed a couple of times when I put my foot down that the car goes to change gear, but then jerks about a bit as though it is changing up and down between gears. There have also been two occassions when the kickdown suddenly stops working. The most recent was today, when I also noticed a really jerky gear-change each time I slowed down to a stop. Left the car for two hours, then drove again to find everything working perfectly again: kickdown restored along with smoth gear-change.

Any ideas what this might be?

I took the car in to get checked over. Garage could find no fault with gear-box, but thought it might be due to the turbo-charger. I cannot remember the exact phrase used, but my understanding of what they said was the turbo charger has become clogged up because the car has not been driven hard enough. The car is low mileage, and in extremely good condition for its age, so I suspect it has had a cosseted life. The recommendation was to try drving it harder for a while, but if the problem remains it will need a new turbo.

I have heard of this problem years ago with Saab turbo chargers, but not in connection with Mercs. Has anyone come accross this?

Yes. It could be the inlet port shut-off that is the problem too. Did they use a Star?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom