CLK 230 cabriolet hood stopped working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PiersB

Car
Mercedes CLK 230
Hi there,

I've owned a 230 CLK convertible for a few months now and the last time I released the handle to take the hood down, all the windows came down correctly, the mechanism started to work then promptly stopped. I had to close it manually and it's since not doing anything - the windows still come down but a switch or something seems to not be functioning...
Any suggestions or help greatly appreciated

Could be a lot of things, try going to an indie with a diagnositc computer and get the codes pulled.

Make sure your rear headrests are fully down. If they need resetting hold headrest button in up position until you hear a click, then push down button. If this does not work do a search for W208 Soft Top Sequence, lots of usefull info on there.

Hi Piers, I had this problem last year on my '99 CLK. As the other members said it's best to have the fault read before you start spending. Mine done exactly the same as yours - normal operation but then just stopped without warning (on mine the back cover was up and the roof was half way through the folding sequence) and needed a manual recovery. A local indie diagnosed the hydraulic pump for the roof had seized (located behind a metal bulkhead at the back of the boot). Due to the age of the car I decided on a second hand part but these are still changing hands for £300 - 400 so just sat tight for a few months until I found a car being scrapped advertised on eBay and got the pump for £100. The local indie charged me £60 to fit it (I had it all stripped out for him) and so far it's worked every time. Certainly worth getting the diagnostic first as you could be replacing sensors, pumps or electrical gubbins forever before you find the faulty one.

Not sure if I can be of any help. But my clk320 roof stopped working two months ago.

Windows down, all the right noises, then nothing, roof would not open.

Solved the problem by giving the roof a good push up with Right hand whilst still operating the button with the left. Push up hard enough to get the first fold working. Worked a treat and roof has been opening this way ever since with no problem.

PiersB, I see you posted on my similar thread on my problem a few weeks ago. From what I read you were doing the manual extra push up for a while like I currently do, but now this no longer works.

So I am thinking that some time soon mine will stop working as well like yours. I wonder if there is some remedial action I can take now to save this, like lubrication of the folding joints to make it easier for the ram or servicing the hydraulic ram.

I had a problem just last week when I hit a pot hole. The top would not go up it turns out the back headrests ( roll bar ) had engaged fully up. Trolling through the forums I found a little magic.
There is a manual reset for each read headrest. You need about a foot long thin rod to slip down the side of the head rest. After 20 mins I now know where to find both switches. I found its the right of the headrest follow the stitching with rod down and nine out of ten times you can feel the switch. Once pressed push down hard till it drops and clicks. With ignition off then on reset windows then try hood closed.
Hope this helps someone.
Allot of craping about to get my hood up luck I had a garage lol.

I don't rate mercedes dealers when it comes to this particular problem and most Indys that I have come across do not have the right equipment to solve.

This problem needs you to spend the hours to solve it, there is a fantastic post by unit504 on how to change the hydraulic roof pump oil, this will give you a insight on what makes the roof work and where 90% of equipment will be found.

Follow the guide on removing the screws and gubbings and then once it is clear and easy to see take it to a decent Indy who will check the relays the pump earthing, if your good with electrics you could probably solve it yourself.

Having had two clk with the same problem and reading 100s of posts and dealing with Mercedes and two Indys the most common problem is the pump but you could get lucky and find its just a relay oil or fuse (highly unlikely).

If it is the pump then BBA in Rochester are the people you will need to contact but there is a another problem you may come across if the pump number on it has a backwards D and then followed by a few numbersthen repair
is highly unlikely but for £35 they can test it to see if it is 100% dead, if you have a Mercedes part no then they will exchange yours and take £295 +vat.

Good luck:thumb:

I don't rate mercedes dealers when it comes to this particular problem and most Indys that I have come across do not have the right equipment to solve.

This problem needs you to spend the hours to solve it, there is a fantastic post by unit504 on how to change the hydraulic roof pump oil, this will give you a insight on what makes the roof work and where 90% of equipment will be found.

Follow the guide on removing the screws and gubbings and then once it is clear and easy to see take it to a decent Indy who will check the relays the pump earthing, if your good with electrics you could probably solve it yourself.

Having had two clk with the same problem and reading 100s of posts and dealing with Mercedes and two Indys the most common problem is the pump but you could get lucky and find its just a relay oil or fuse (highly unlikely).

If it is the pump then BBA in Rochester are the people you will need to contact but there is a another problem you may come across if the pump number on it has a backwards D and then followed by a few numbersthen repair
is highly unlikely but for £35 they can test it to see if it is 100% dead, if you have a Mercedes part no then they will exchange yours and take £295 +vat.

Good luck:thumb:

PUMP tested by the Rochester people and confirmed that it's dead, Mercedes wanted £600 for a bow blah blah without even testing the pump (shocking), now the motor in the pump is dead and not available for aftermarket sale ( disgusting).

Will send the pump/motor out to morocco or India where they don't give up so easily and labour is cheap, in the meantime eBay/breakers now for what is a gamble.

I am still pushing the roof up manually when it stops half way through the sequence. Not too much effort is required with a push up with one hand whilst seated and still operating the switch, just breaks the first fold, about one foot behind the front catch, and the roof folds ok.

This was a trick showed to me by an indy mechanic (at Mercare in Plymouth) after MB dealer was talking upwards of £1000 to sort out the problem.

Anyway, it is still working with the small push three months later. I was hoping that with regular use the joint would get lubricated after possibly not being used for the winter by the previous owner and would start working automatically - no such luck.

I am of course worried that it might not just be the stiff joint and over time the pump will give up.

Anyway, if any MB'ers out there have had a similar problem and have any ideas about solutions then please post here.

P.S I think the 'older' style CLK cabriolet with the squared off boot is still one of the best looking soft tops out there and very practical with room for two adults in the back. The V6 320 petrol engine sounds great and runs beautifully.

I have not tried a 430 or a 55, so would appreciate any comments on these two engines (sound, fun, power, reliability, costs servicing and running) for older cabs

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm a new member and I have the same problem as mentioned above my roof has just stopped working. I'm going to try the hydraulic pump relay tomorrow. Can anybody tell me is this excessable through the boot or does the rear seat need to be removed? Also I understand the limit swiches on the rams are also a problem area, again how can I get to these swiches?

Regards Smithy

Hi,
I'm a new member and I have the same problem as mentioned above my roof has just stopped working. I'm going to try the hydraulic pump relay tomorrow. Can anybody tell me is this excessable through the boot or does the rear seat need to be removed? Also I understand the limit swiches on the rams are also a problem area, again how can I get to these swiches?

Regards Smithy

Look for unit504 post on howto change the hydraulic oil in roof pump thread. I followed these instructions and it took 1 hour being careful and bagging bits in separate bags and taking my own photos, the reason I done this is because once you remove the bulk head you really need to go and solve the problem which can be many things and can take some time. I called an Indy and told him it would be an electrical test and it took him 20mins to confirm power going to the pump motor but nothing coming out of motor, this has now been confirmed by 2 more professionals. It could be relay switches ecu or oil once you follow the instructions and for your sake I hope its a simple fix, you will not like the pump motor route as its pretty much a dead end.

Its also worth swapping the relay the for £7 merc charge, mine stopped and you could hear it click, diag tool said something like no power or low power, it tricks you because its clicking but doing nothing, some of the other MB forums say it should be changed as a matter of course as it can stick and burn the motor out,

It's interesting getting to it as there's a massive sheet of metal with about 20 bolts that covers it,

The fuel pump relay is the same but I just bought a new one rather than swap them,

I hope you get it fixed,

Edit: I think if its relay it won't stop part way throu but at the start.

Last edited:
Please help 99 320 convertible

Roof problems just purchased a clk 320

Joyful I have he exact same have to manually help it, did you ever get a fix?

Also what does it mean on the read head rest switch when 1. The light stays on, 2. The light flashes

Roof problems just purchased a clk 320

Joyful I have he exact same have to manually help it, did you ever get a fix?

Also what does it mean on the read head rest switch when 1. The light stays on, 2. The light flashes

Still giving it a bit of help with a push when opening the hood. Still working fine a year later. No change and have not bothered to get it sorted at a garage as would probably cost almost as much as I paid for the car.

My partner sometimes get a problem, but it is always the same thing: the luggage cover in the boot is not correctly located in the brackets. There are sensors and if it is not properly fitted the roof wont got in any direction.

Not sure about the headrest switch or lights. Mine seem to still go up and down OK with the switch. I lower before dropping the hood because I think there is only just clearance below the hood.

Car is a delight, loads of torque, moves nice and quick when you want and totally relaxing at low speeds.

Last edited:
Guys, if you are having to help the roof just for the first fold, it's likely that the tensioner cables have stretched / snapped. Easily replaced and about £70.

Guys, if you are having to help the roof just for the first fold, it's likely that the tensioner cables have stretched / snapped. Easily replaced and about £70.

Thank you for the advice. That would be great to fix. Please can you help with instructions: where and how?

Hi yes I have the same problem and had a good look today and I found a cable not attached to anything . It dosent look snapped if it is I can't find the other end and it defiantly is the problem as I can feel the tension change when I push the first fold up and down .
So.... Can anybody tell me were this connects to or where the other end might be

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom