clk 230 compressor not engaging??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok so its not the k40 next is the cam sensor

The K40 on our cars is on the right side behind the engine bulk head next to the ECO. There is an orange large fuse on the board. Unlike the SLK that shares the same engine, our CLK's do not seem to suffer with the same over heating and dry solder joints on this K40 board, however you can check.

The K40 on our cars is on the right side behind the engine bulk head next to the ECO. There is an orange large fuse on the board. Unlike the SLK that shares the same engine, our CLK's do not seem to suffer with the same over heating and dry solder joints on this K40 board, however you can check.

I agree not likely to be the K40 never seen an issue with these on C's or CLK's, air piping, bypass flap or cam sensor the likely culprit.

I agree not likely to be the K40 never seen an issue with these on C's or CLK's.

Yes, must agree. Also, the K40's are different to the SLK's. I pulled mine out last week just out curiosity and removed the housing, checked all the solder joints under a magnifying glass all were perfect. Having said that, it's worth checking all the same as it's such a simple process of elimination.

Would it be the cam position sensor or the cam adjuster sensor????

Would it be the cam position sensor or the cam adjuster sensor????

Do you mean which one to change to solve the compressor problem? If so, I'd say neither, as I suspect they don't effect the S/c operation. But, both of those parts are known to give problems regardless.

f1, my understanding is all M111 engined C230K, CLK230 & SLK230's have an Eaton M62 fitted with an electro mech clutch & 2.0lt Kompressors as well. The later four pot Kompressor engines( M271) have no clutch and are fitted with the smaller Eaton M45 as per W203, W209, R171 etc.

Has your S/c got not clutch fitted? Or are you saying it has a clutch but not the standard electro mech one?

f1, my understanding is all M111 engined C230K, CLK230 & SLK230's have an Eaton M62 fitted with an electro mech clutch & 2.0lt Kompressors as well. The later four pot Kompressor engines( M271) have no clutch and are fitted with the smaller Eaton M45 as per W203, W209, R171 etc.

Has your S/c got not clutch fitted? Or are you saying it has a clutch but not the standard electro mech one?

Some earlier cars were a mechanical clutch they swapped to electro mechanical clutch on the facelift cars (at least they did on CLK) not sure about others.

f1, I've got my doubts about that. How did a non electro clutch operate on the S/c?

f1, I've got my doubts about that. How did a non electro clutch operate on the S/c?

I'm going to have to ask Brabus that question as it's their pulley and build, but the clutch on mine definitely has no electro magnet and there is no wiring to it to facilitate such.

I'm sure I've read the early cars using Eaton M62 did not have an electromagnetic clutch :dk: However I could be talking bobbins and getting mixed up with something else (it's an age thing):D

I'm going to have to ask Brabus that question as it's their pulley and build, but the clutch on mine definitely has no electro magnet and there is no wiring to it to facilitate such.

I'm sure I've read the early cars using Eaton M62 did not have an electromagnetic clutch :dk: However I could be talking bobbins and getting mixed up with something else (it's an age thing):D

Yes quite correct the earlier cars had the supercharger I think on constantly with the later models utilising a megnetic clutch. You can test this clutch by unplugging the barrel connector behind the plastic crank case cover, its held in by a spring clip. If you rev the engine the cutch should engage and you'll see the pulley spinning. If you dont have clutch then it just spins regardless. Bad new however if you magnetic clutch has gone, then its near on impossible to replace as they are expensive around £350 + and hard to get out. You'll best to buy a new SC instead.

Attachments

• SuperchargerClutch%20002_low.JPG
    SuperchargerClutch%20002_low.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 12
Very possible the Brabus kit deleted the the clutch and a good chance too. I presume there's a Brabus ECU fitted of some sort and a much smaller S/c pulley (along with a oversize crank pulley), as there's a limit to how much can be milled off the standard pulley due to the clutch. I recall measuring the stock pulley at around 95mm and it looked like it could be milled down while keeping the clutch to around 85mm approx. Thus, I suspect your pulley is smaller again.

You are quite correct from memory I think my SC pulley is 80mm and the crank pulley 225mm but would have to check spec sheet or measure to be 100% sure.

And going back to the OP's issue of the S/c not engaging that can be for only a couple of reasons i.e. broken belt or inop S/c clutch (for whatever reason). So, his W208 must have a clutch, actually the few that I've seen all had clutches and the spare S/c that I'm in the process of buying is clutched also. Just to add, ever M62 for the M111 that I've looked at had or was fitted with a clutch.

And going back to the OP's issue of the S/c not engaging that can be for only a couple of reasons i.e. broken belt or inop S/c clutch (for whatever reason). So, his W208 must have a clutch, actually the few that I've seen all had clutches and the spare S/c that I'm in the process of buying is clutched also. Just to add, ever M62 for the M111 that I've looked at had or was fitted with a clutch.

All the ones I've seen too have had a clutch but I'm sure I read and as A1EK's post some of the earlier ones didn't :dk:

Dun a read on the car and got only 1 code
P0341

So looks like the position sensor needs changing

solved camshaft position sensor failed so replaced and now works and how I've missed the power and noise :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom