Clk 230 engine tapping noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cupra321

Car
S600L BI TURBO CLK CAB
Hi im a new user there and have two mercs, this morning started my 2001 CLK 230 KOMPRESSOR up and it sounds like a tractor very noisy top end any help and advise please.
:mad:

Welcome

Have you checked the oil level? do you have any idea when the oil and filter were last changed?

The valve clearances are hydraulic and a low oil level / low pressure can cause a rattle from the top end. An oil change with an engine flush may also help if the hydraulic tappets are a little sticky.

Let us know what mileage the car has done as others may know if this is a common, problem at higher mileages.

thanks for the reply DSM100000 i changed the oil and filter yesterday just to see if the wrong oil has been put in so oil level is good the car has only done 80,000 miles it still drives ok and there are no lights on so im a bit stuck to be honest.
cheers neil

Could it be the valves need adjusting?

where are you live?

These are noisy on cold start, its the exhaust manifold flap that makes them sound that way... is it a car you have just purchased?

chaps as far as i know the this car has hydrolic tappits please excuse my spelling (mauno ) i live in leicester and yes on cold start they are but this is bad when hot have taken it to my local place in rothley (silver star) and they dont know ether so again a bit stuck with this one.
cheers neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom