CLK 230 (First timer)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pablo

I`m looking at defecting from BMw and buyingmy first MB been looking at the CLK 230 (320 would be a bit steep on fuel/insurance)

So what`s the main thing to look out for ? leather, aircon, auto, etc I know are a must.

But are there any problems to look out for ?

Also whats the difference between avantgarde/elegance.

Been looking at this one
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/
Enlargehide();​

var picTest = document.getElementById("picArea"); if (!picTest){ document.getElementById("details").style.width = "85%"; }1999 MERCEDES-BENZ CLK230 Kompressor Sports,
S reg. 51000 miles, FSH, Metallic Blue, full Black electric trim, 19in new Brabus alloys, a/c, remote locking, alarm/immob, MPV CD player, full MOT, 6 months Tax, RAC warranty available, great value at. £6,995. . M6 Junct 10 Si Cars

Telephone: (01902) 565332 or (07956) 882399
Distance: 56 miles
Price: £6,995

Glossary of Terms

Welcome to the forum. There are a number of CLK owners and I'm sure that they'll get back to you over the next day or so.

pablo said:
I`m looking at defecting from BMw and buyingmy first MB been looking at the CLK 230 (320 would be a bit steep on fuel/insurance)

So what`s the main thing to look out for ? leather, aircon, auto, etc I know are a must.

But are there any problems to look out for ?

Also whats the difference between avantgarde/elegance.

Welcome to this forum, I have a 320 avantgarde and the main difference is it is more sporty with black wood and firmer suspension (my favorite) the insurance, however, is at least as expensive for the 230 kompressor as it is for the 320 v6 (the insurance companies don't seem to like any forced induction for some reason!) the fuel figures arn't too different either, especially on a run where I was getting 32-34mpg. the smooth v6 was a winner for me. Please, let us all know what you decided.

Welcome to the Forum...

The car that you have provided a link to is a "pre Face Lift" model and I personally would try and go for a Face Lift model if possible. The face lift models received revised front/rear bumpers and side skirts (fully colour coded). The CLK 200 engine was upgraded to a Kompressor (supercharged). The interior was changed and including the steering wheel with multi function buttons. The rear light lenses were modified too.

The difference between Elegance/Avantgarde are that the Avantgarde gets different style alloys, sports suspension (slightly lower), different alloys and instead of wood trim on the interior it gets Aluminium style trim. The car that you have provided a link too has Brabus style alloys which may possibly be OEM (very expensive if this is the case) or Replicas.

The W208 is prone to rust so you have to be careful. The rear boot lock and wheel arch areas are one of many hot spots to look out for rust. Do a search on W208 CLK and you will find way more info as this topic has been covered in great depth before.

PTS (Parktronic) is also a nice option on the car if you are able to find one with this... 230K engine is very good but the 320 V6 (more refined) is not much more expensive now price wise in comparison.

Welcome to the forum. I went for a 320 elegance pre-facelift model. The elegance has softer suspension and brown wooden interior trim. On the one you've been looking at you might want to check the front suspension for any knocking sounds when going over small bumps. I had to have some work done on my suspension at around 50K miles and I believe this is quite common. Since then however it has just been business as usual servicing and fuel (I get about 28 to the gallon on average). As stated previously rust around the bootlid - look also at the ends of the plastic trim over the rear number plate. There's a wealth of info available on the forum and folks are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Hi Pablo, I mde the same move a few weeks ago and went for a CLK 270d Avantgarde, which I bought from Mercedes Direct. I have to say after 4 BMW 3 series i was a little apprehensive but have quickly fell in love with the CLK. Its a different drive than BMW - not quite as sharp in in my opinion - but not the worse for that........ I guess I'd say it has a greater presence, if that makes sense. The biggest difference is the quality aspect - the CLK just feels nicer inside and they have thought of everything. On the plus side Mrs Steve can't reach the pedals so she can't drive it :p
I'm really pleased with the choice, go for it mate if you pick a good one you won't regret it. Best of luck.:bannana:

Flash said:
Welcome to the Forum...

......................................... The CLK 200 engine was upgraded to a Kompressor (supercharged). .

There was a period of about four months between August 1999 and November 1999 when the CLK200 was facelifted but without the kompressor! I had one and it was rather lacking in power! This is the most worthless and difficult to sell model of the lot! Go for a 320, you'll really love the smoothness and the running costs are almost the same as the 230.

It definatley cant be the 200 as this will be a bit breathless on the motorways. I do quite a lot of miles, so running costs and re-sale is quite key. Also a 300TD caught my eye yesterday. At the age of 28 though I reckon this could be a bit much to be driving a car that big. I currently have an £8000 budget.

Flash said:
The difference between Elegance/Avantgarde are that the Avantgarde gets different style alloys, sports suspension (slightly lower), different alloys and instead of wood trim on the interior it gets Aluminium style trim.

Hmmmmm ...

Our CLK 430 Avantgarde has black wood trim ....... :confused:

Howard said:
Hmmmmm ...

Our CLK 430 Avantgarde has black wood trim ....... :confused:

430 is a 208 series model - it has birds eye maple / black wood.

The aluminum trim is on the 209 series.

Pablo, get one with parktronic (front and rear parking sensors) as rear parking visibility is terrible.
Also I'd say leather and aircon would be essential at resale time (don't they all have aircon???).
Avantgarde has the black 'bird's eye maple' wood trim which is nicer than the brown wood imho.
Post facelift cars (late 1999) look better with the colour coded sills/bumper bottoms and the indicators in the mirrors.

Cheers,
Adam.

Last edited:
saorbust said:
430 is a 208 series model - it has birds eye maple / black wood.

The aluminum trim is on the 209 series.

But thats what everyone has been talking about :confused: the w208 series, no one mentioned a w209 series model until Steve popped up with his CLK270CDi...

The link in the original post is to a w208 series as well....

At the time the discussion was centred around the w208, that has (in Avantgarde spec) black birds eye maple as you said, not aluminium .... hence why i posted that it was incorrect ...

:confused:

As i`m not a fully paid up member of the MB club (yet) could we drop the W prefixe, its confusing me. I do`nt think I`ll get the facelift model for less than £8000. I`am of course looking for what everyone is looking for when buying a new car. It needs the least amount of mileage, the least amount owners, the most amount of kit, for the least amount of money. I personally before the darker black trim, I think someone said it was maple. I just need you guys to put me a checklist together of what I should be looking for/at when buying a CLK.

I'll try to 'unconfuse' you:

CLK W208 (lets call it old shape) ran from 1997 - 2002 and CLK W209 (new shape) is from 2002 - now.

In 1999 the old shape CLK's got a face lift which included colur coding to sills and bumpers, indicators in the mirrors and steering wheel controls for stereo amongst other things.

You will not get a new shape (W209) in your price range but you will get face lifted old shape ones (W208).

The black wood (bird's eye maple) comes with 'avantgarde' trim which if I recall correctly replaced the 'sport' trim level after the face lift. Also 'sport' trim had 'carbon fibre' instead of wood.

edit: Just checked autotrader and there is only 1 230K facelift model under £8000 sorry!

Last edited:
Cheers Mergli,

I understand now, so I`m basically going for a (w208) a face lifted old one. I would like the avantgarde or sports trim. air con, leather, park sensors (if poss).

Can someone start my checklist, if fact I`ll start

1) Hpi check
2)

1) Hpi check
2) Full MBSH to get rusty arches and bootlock repaired free under MobiloLife (post facelift cars will be covered by this - pre facelift probably won't)
3)

check list

ill add for you - i currently own a W208 1998 230K convertable.

1) Hpi check
2) FMBSH (id say would be a must!)
3) Rust Areas (eg: boot lock, sills etc.)
4)

check list

1) Hpi check
4)

unit504 said:

1) Hpi check
4)

4). Not white, red or green in colour. Very cheap to buy but v difficult to sell on.
5). auto. Same reasons as in 4).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom