clk 230 kompressor fault lights on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikesforme

Car
vito 108d
Hi to everyone, back on the forum having just brought or should i say swopped for a 2000 clk convertible 230 kompressor.love the car but when i picked the car up the abs/bas/esp/ets lights were on.
The owner never said that but said its just had new front pads and discs, and he said it had no lights showing until that was done and the bloke could not find his lead to knock them off.
On looking for the obd2 i found a blanking plate one near front bonnet realeas but think its just a blanking plate there, has under the bonnet it the round pin connect.
Brought the adaptor lead to fit my obd2 reader and got codes po720,po500,po103,and po410.
I cleared the codes and restarted the car and rechecked for codes. No codes are showing now but the fault lights are still on and showing 3 malfunctions on dash.
Also power hood is not working would there not be a fault code for that, all help much appreciated. Many thanks

Hi to everyone, back on the forum having just brought or should i say swopped for a 2000 clk convertible 230 kompressor.love the car but when i picked the car up the abs/bas/esp/ets lights were on.
The owner never said that but said its just had new front pads and discs, and he said it had no lights showing until that was done and the bloke could not find his lead to knock them off.
On looking for the obd2 i found a blanking plate one near front bonnet realeas but think its just a blanking plate there, has under the bonnet it the round pin connect.
Brought the adaptor lead to fit my obd2 reader and got codes po720,po500,po103,and po410.
I cleared the codes and restarted the car and rechecked for codes. No codes are showing now but the fault lights are still on and showing 3 malfunctions on dash.
Also power hood is not working would there not be a fault code for that, all help much appreciated. Many thanks

Probably the brake light switch. Get a proper mercedes one if you change it they are around 25 pounds iirc

I have ordered a brake switch from mercedes see if that helps it. On my short trip back from work today the auto gearbox kept saying in one gear. I stop switch off and restart and sometimes it cures it sometimes takes a few tries.
Love the car but starting to think i might have brought a money pit. I hope not has would love to tidy up the old girl and bring her back to her glory.

If the switch isn't the problem I'd get it on a star with someone who knows what there doing and find out exactly what's up or you could throw money at it when it could be a simple fix.

What is a star, is there any software u can get so it gives more info then a obd reader.

^ Star is MB diagnostic software which is used to read the codes in your engine and gearbox ECU's.

Generic code readers can only go so far with helping diagnosis.
You could do with finding an independent MB tech (an indy) who has Star.

Hopefully the brake light switch may cure the problems you are having. For the cost and simplicity of changing it, its often the first step before taking it to an indy.

Would that cause the speedo to stop working sometimes too. Was going to change the brake switch first. My next point of wall if that dont work was the left front and rear speed sensors.
Is there anything for the home mecanic that dont cost the earth that u can use with ur laptop ect , that will pin point were problems lie. Thanks

As post#6, it needs diagnosing correctly before throwing parts at it hoping for a cure.
You mention new discs and pads + ABS ESP BAS lights showing. Possibly the ABS or wheel speed sensor was disturbed during fitting.
Take the front wheels off and have a check of the sensors to see if one has been dislodged.

We get this switch put on and she what happens. Need to find someone that does star in my area, any idea what it will cost.Thanks

Got switch today from mercedes, only cost £12.84 all in, cheaper then a lot of the pattern ones on ebay.
I wounder how much is a service kit to change oil in my autobox, a job to do.

Tried new brake switch today but did not cure it, abs,bas/esp/etslights still on and getting code po500 and code po720.
I have tried turning steering fully lock left , right and middle to reset it , but lights still on. Has the bloke i got it from said it was fine till front pads and discs were replaced i took a front wheel to see if any faults. I cleaned connectors and cleaned speed sensor in brake cleaner.
Is this sensor worn has thought it should have 3 metal lines in it.

Tried new brake switch today but did not cure it, abs,bas/esp/etslights still on and getting code po500 and code po720.
I have tried turning steering fully lock left , right and middle to reset it , but lights still on. Has the bloke i got it from said it was fine till front pads and discs were replaced i took a front wheel to see if any faults. I cleaned connectors and cleaned speed sensor in brake cleaner.http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/pludlow16/media/20160618_142609_zps3yezdkvv.jpg.html
Is this sensor worn has thought it should have 3 metal lines in it.

Doesn't look great. Get it on a star then you'll have your answer. Where are you as iam sure someone can point you to a good indy where you are if we know.

I am in Newark on trent ng24

There used to be a place at New Basford called Mercserve no idea how good they are but decent reviews on some MB forums. Guess that would be 20 - 30 minutes from you?

There used to be a place at New Basford called Mercserve no idea how good they are but decent reviews on some MB forums. Guess that would be 20 - 30 minutes from you?

Many thanks, trying to find out if there is a scaner or if carsoft 7.4 would do the job first before i spend on paying someone to do it.

Had my 230k for two years now. Had all those faults and initially they all frightened the crap out of me as the Mercedes systems are / were new to me. Just done a brake switch today as the ABS / BAS light was on dash and that fixed it. This also affected the Cruise Control too (had stopped now working).

A check on Star at an auto electrician near me (Sheffield) is £30. This really is needed to find out what is going on. These cars are a nightmare as they can have idiosyncracies that will fox you if not used to them.

The roof module went on mine before i bought it. Found out afterwards, ofcourse. It's a fuss of a job but I managed it with a few hours cramped in the boot dismantling everything to swap over. I picked up a warranted second hand unit for £100 on Ebay. Mercedes wanted £1100 to supply and fit.

I find Mercedes dealiership to offer very poor service. They never return calls. I'm still waiting for a call back from a technician from Monday morning to query a fault. I've rang twice but still no response. I even made an appointment by phone to have Star check done, got down there and they told me that they had no record of the call and could not help as they were busy.

These cars are a bit like Landrovers. You need to be prepared to get your hands dirty / busy, or pay someone else that will at a cost. Fortunately i've had a Defender for 10 years so am used to both.

Good luck

Hi,

were all your brake lights still working correctly before changing the brake light switch?

They wont £72, think rather buy carsoft then spend that much on a scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom