clk 230 w208 electrical "event"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kentplums

Car
clk 230
Hi
as above 1999 w208 cabrio ....wife driving back from shops and...no electric windows, no wipers, no lights etc etc. 5 minutes later another call saying all is ok again. Apperently when she pulled up at home, the triangle with exclamation mark (traction warning?) was lit. I got home and took it out for a thrash and absolutely no problems. No warning lights, all functioning as it should.
Any thoughts? The battery is old but no starting problems of any kind.
Thanks
R

The battery or alternator are the most likely candidates, possibly alternator or battery earth connections.

Have you measured battery Voltage engine off no load and engine running at a fast idle with no load?

You should have around 12.6V and 14.4V respectively.

Thanks for that - i will check tomorrow. Multimeter across battery terminals right?
If the battery is suspect, is it a question of just buying a new one and bunging it in or are there issues re onboard stuff?
R

Had similar problem with my CLK 209, it always started, no instruments etc. New battery solved the problem. The old battery has been in my Ponton for over 2 years and still works.

I've got 12.1v on the battery,no load, after being left overnight, 13.9v at 2000 revs and 12.6v switched off after 3 minutes of running.
New battery I think
Thanks again
R

I've got 12.1v on the battery,no load, after being left overnight, 13.9v at 2000 revs and 12.6v switched off after 3 minutes of running.
New battery I think
Thanks again
R

Looks like the culprit. The car will detect a lower than normal battery voltage and cause some functions to operate erratically or not at all.

You may need to re-set the automatic function on the windows after the battery change, normally running them up and down manually with the switch a couple of times re-sets them. :thumb:

Just to finish off, I changed the battery, failing miserably to keep some power in the system in order to save radio codes, window and seat memory etcs and , amazingly , I have had to reset nothing at all - all seems fine.
Cheers
R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom