Clk 230k cam magnet oil leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tubaclarion

Car
Clk 230 k
When driving my car the other day, the engine management light came on. After checking posts on the forum, I looked at my cam magnet to discover that the cable connector was full of oil. I now suspect that it has travelled down the loom, an experience so many others seem to have had. There are signs that the magnet has leaked oil at the front of the engine too. I checked the Ecu multi-pin plugs (with the grey locking levers) and these were clean. The car is running well with no apparent loss of power or economy at the moment, but I realise that this could change. My question is, once I have replaced the magnet and installed the blocker, will I need to reach the loom or might I have caught the problem early enough? I have only owned my car for three months and would want to speak with the dealer if the repair is going to be costly. Any advice would be most welcome.

Sorry. I should add that I am new here and so apologies if I am raking over old ground. My plan is to buy a replacement magnet and then fit the wiring blocker to at least stop the oil and then go from there.

Hi. I'm new here too (first time tonight and you're my second post...) but I've been working on/with/for Mercedes-Benz since 1985, so have a wealth of knowledge to call on...
If the oil leak hasn't gone too far up the loom, you can use some electrical cleaner (available almost anywhere) and clean off/out the loom. You'll need to disconnect it whilst being cleaned and you should have it hanging down so that all the fluid (oil and cleaner) runs into a bucket or tray to save on cleaning up afterwards. Try to keep it all off your paintwork, as it could stain it...
The real issue can come when/if the oil penetrates into the ECM (control unit) but even then can often be cleaned out (unless a processor shorts out; then it's a new unit I'm afraid...)
Before carrying out the job yourself, speak to the garage you bought the car from. You never know, they might be happy to do the job for you as goodwill or at least at a reduced price to keep you coming back...

There is an adaptor loom available from Mercedes Part Department near you.. This stops the oil travelling.

Thanks for the advice. I went to the mercedes garage today to collect the part which stops the oil and a new magnet as mine looks like it has leaked down the front of the engine too. When I asked them what happens to the oil in the loom once the new part is fitted, they said "it's fine, it just stays there". I think I will go for the cleaning option, especially as I don't want to kill of another 02 sensor! I'd love to ask the garage from where I got the car to sort it out but they are about four hours drive from me! Hopefully my usual garage here can help with the wiring cleaning. They are very good. Thanks again.

Just got my car back from the garage. The good news is that they found no trace of oil at the 02 sensor and so I must have caught it in time (I hope). The bad news was that there is a fracture in the exhaust manifold that is causing the sensor to get upset when the car draws air in where it shouldn't. They are optimistic that it can be welded and so hopefully, this will sort the problem. At least I know that I have a new cam magnet and oil blocking wiring! They said they would check the oil breathers whilst the manifold is off. Probably a good idea. I hope I am running out of faults on this car, but I'm sure it's full of surprises!

Just driven my car for the first time since replacing the cam magnet and before the manifold is repaired. The fuel consumption was down from around 38 average to 30. Could changing the magnet have such a negative impact or has something else happened? Is the engine running rich because of the manifold leak?

30 to the gallon I only wish usaly get about twenty ha and mines only a 200k

Ouch! I knew 38+ was good but my commute is 40 miles ( although all small A roads) but today, my car peaked at 33 on the way home and I had to try really hard to achieve that. I have managed over 40 in the past, even with the engine management light on and the manifold leak. All seems to have changed since installing the new cam magnet. Very odd.

Ouch! I knew 38+ was good but my commute is 40 miles ( although all small A roads) but today, my car peaked at 33 on the way home and I had to try really hard to achieve that. I have managed over 40 in the past, even with the engine management light on and the manifold leak. All seems to have changed since installing the new cam magnet. Very odd.

Mine does 28 mpg on average which its supposed to do from what I've read.

Mine does 33 - 35 mpg with mostly 80% motorway work. Best I have ever seen is 36 mpg

Looks like I was doing really well before then! Just strange that it should change so dramatically. Presumably the old magnet had failed and wasn't doing what it should? I don't perceive any difference in performance though either.

Got my car back after the repair to the manifold and mpg is back to between 37 and 40 on average on my daily commute and the engine management light has also remained off. All good news for the moment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom