CLK 230k oil in coolant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steveoliver

Car
CLK 230k
Hey guys

Excellent site by the way, with excellent knowledge by everyone.

I've use this site for tips etc in the past and found it very helpful.

However I have an issue now and can't find any postings anywhere on here or the Internet in general. I have a CLK 230k 2001, which has just hit 100k miles, went to top the coolant up the other day and it looks like oil in there. It went through the MOT fine a couple of days ago and I asked them for their opinion. They said it may bethe head gasket, or it could be something else. Car drives fine with no warning lights etc.

Anyone had the same issue? Cant find info on this anywhere.

Thanks
Steve

Been there done that. More then once. Can be head gaskets. Can be the combined rad/gearbox oil cooler. You do not want water in the gearbox - check that.
If it is oil from the gearbox then it is serious, for the gearbox, it can be destroyed.

Check under the engine oil cap for butter indicating water in oil (it's oil-water emulsion).

If it is engine-only and not a big serious leak then K-Seal (probably the best coolant sealer) should fix it.

I would drain contaminated coolant and refill with antifreeze and K-Seal.
I would also drain contaminated oil, perhaps flushing before refill (regular oil flush can be detrimental). And clean the oil cap so you can see if it recurs.

It sounds very much like the head gasket to me. Don't bother with K Seal. Change the head gasket for a better repair. Not as hard as you may think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom