CLK 240 209 2002 Instrument lights and indicators not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
CLK 240
I have not used car for a few days.

I went to use tonight and it started but no instrument back light or warning lights plus indicators not working and no main beam.

Hazards work, plus tail, stop and reverse. Cigar lighter powering dash cam OK

Anyone come across this?

Have a look at this thread, I have had the same issue before and it turned out to be a weak battery. Indicators did not flash up inside the dash but our side they work as normal.

Thanks for suggestions.

I have just checked battery and 12.4v. it is fairly new

The battery connections looked ok but removed, cleaned and refitted with dialectric grease.

Removed body earth and did same.

Also did same for for earths under bonnet on drivers side.

Checked instrument fuse in side of dash, looked ok but replaced anyway.

Hoped the battery disconnect might reset, but still same.

It starts but nothing on instrument display works .

Hazards work but no indicators outside.

Horn and radio work.

I was due to replace indicator switch as not latching and wonder if there could be a problem here.

I have a new one ready to fit.

I will do heavy discharge test on battery and is on charge at moment.

Any other ideas ?

Heavy discharge test was fine so dont think it is the battery

Can you drive it for 30 mins or so and see how you get on, I recall when I had the issue, I fully charged the battery and it still did not come back on until after a good drive.

Failing that you will need to get the cluster checked or repaired, link on other post, you can call them first and get some advice

Thanks for suggestion, it does drive but no indicators so a bit tricky.

I have read elsewhere that worth removing instrument fuse for an hour so will try that and check all fuses

Your fault may be different then, when I had the problem with mines, there was no indication inside the car that the indicators were working, but on the outside they were fine.

Hmmm last night exactly the same, turned ignition all dash lights on ok, started and drove off, 5 mins later all dash lights off, all outside lights and indicators working, nothing indicating on the dash but clock winding itself forward and backward and the odd blip of some of the warning lights. Drove back and left it to do some web research before fault testing today. Feck me, this morining it all seems to be working except that I had to reset the clock and the run flat indicator. Now I don't use the car as much as I used to and the weather has been bad and FFS it was Halloween, never happened before, methinks it was the damp or what???

Might not be the same issue but have a look for JJ on Cars on YouTube. Quite a few videos of his CLK and I remember one where he describes a dash fault.

Check the front SAM for water.
Drivers side near the scuttle.
It has a lid and also a cover that is supposed to direct water away but this is just clipped on and can also get blocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom