CLK 240 209 Heating stepper motor/actuator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
CLK 240
My CLK has stepper motor clicking after start up.

I know there are a few of them, but does anyone have experience of changing them?

I think mine is related to demister flap, as not fully working.

Can any be accessed via glove box removal? or without more invasive strip?

Do you need analyser to reset after fitting or can you disconnect battery and sync flaps after?

Thanks

I’m sure there’s some that are accessible with just the dash sides removed but usually the faulty/noisy one is on the top and requires the top dash removed.

There is a learn procedure on the star but I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary, I think the motors run through a calibration on start up (hence you get the clicking every time you start)

It really depends where it is.
I changed one on my 2004 w203. It was in the centre of the dash, so required the radio and all the buttons and gubbins of the central control panel to be removed and I could just (and only just) change the affected stepper with lots of swearing and grazed knuckles. A slight-handed young teenager or small female might be useful for the final stage if you have one available.

With the one I changed, despite suggestions that it might actually be the arm that has broken, it was the internal 'clutch' on the motor itself, and therefore at start-up, when the plastic arm got to the physical 'stop' position, the motor just continued to slip past a biting point internally.

I ordered a second hand stepper off ebay for about £15 and a new arm (whilst I was at it) from Merc also for £15. Then it only cost me 10 hours of my time.

Good luck and keep us posted 👍

I’m sure there’s some that are accessible with just the dash sides removed but usually the faulty/noisy one is on the top and requires the top dash removed.

There is a learn procedure on the star but I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary, I think the motors run through a calibration on start up (hence you get the clicking every time you start)
Thanks Dodipops, appreciated

It really depends where it is.
I changed one on my 2004 w203. It was in the centre of the dash, so required the radio and all the buttons and gubbins of the central control panel to be removed and I could just (and only just) change the affected stepper with lots of swearing and grazed knuckles. A slight-handed young teenager or small female might be useful for the final stage if you have one available.

With the one I changed, despite suggestions that it might actually be the arm that has broken, it was the internal 'clutch' on the motor itself, and therefore at start-up, when the plastic arm got to the physical 'stop' position, the motor just continued to slip past a biting point internally.

I ordered a second hand stepper off ebay for about £15 and a new arm (whilst I was at it) from Merc also for £15. Then it only cost me 10 hours of my time.

Good luck and keep us posted 👍
Thanks Mr Greedy
Its not urgent as demists OK when warm, but just annoying.

Appreciate your input, helps to prepare :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom