CLK 270 & 320 CDI - which transmission?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Igurisu

Car
911 Turbo
So we've decided to go for the CLK (auto), for our first MB, not sure if it will be a 270 or 320 CDI. Head says 270 for economy, heart says 320 (maybe sport) for a bit of loud pedal fun.

From what I can see the 270 seems to have the 5g box, the 320 the 7g box. I've read the various comments and debates about the 7g box, but that aside, is my assumption correct about which box is with which engine?

Aiming to buy a post 2004 for the galv body, maybe late 2004 or 2005 model.

pretty sure tht the 320 will always be 7g.

I like it and this it suits the engine well. 320 far superior to the 270.

320 CDi V6 has the 7 speed box and the 270 CDi has the 5 speed box.

The 270 is a more than capable engine, but it feels old once you drive the 320 CDi.

I'd take the one without the 7g box ;)

This '7G box' topic has come up quite a lot lately. Is it really that bad, or would it still seem pretty damn good compared to most cars on the road, just not the latest mercs. Or are you comparing it to the merc 5g, and saying its a worse option, botled to an unfortunately better (320) motor.

Really, it can't be that much of a deal breaker can it?

This '7G box' topic has come up quite a lot lately. Is it really that bad, or would it still seem pretty damn good compared to most cars on the road, just not the latest mercs. Or are you comparing it to the merc 5g, and saying its a worse option, botled to an unfortunately better (320) motor.

Really, it can't be that much of a deal breaker can it?

As they say "you pays your money and takes your chance" I don't like auto's anyway but have seen too many issues on the 7g boxes compared to the 5g, if you want to compare it to other cars then it's not in the same league as the Audi Multitronic and light years behind the new BMW 8 speed auto.

If I did have an MB auto it would definitely be a 5g. theres a good reason why MB don't fit the 7g to the SLR and any cars specc'd for motorsport duty, all these cars run the 5g speedshift box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom