CLK 270 CDi starts but dies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cobra2222

Car
E350 CDI Coupe
Hi all,

My 270 CLK CDi started one morning but immediately died after about 2 seconds, I had the car recovered and the garage replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel pipes attached to the pump. They delivered the car back and it was fine all day using it and I started and stopped about 5 times.

Came out this morning and started the car cold and the original problem happened again and it died after about 2 seconds I cranked it over and over and it eventually started very roughly and after revving its smoothed out.. And starts again ok now.

Before I send it back to the garage does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Could be an injector but id more likely check for air getting into the fuel lines first. Most of the time when an injector fails you have to crank it over and over for it to start as its loosing pressure in the rail. Check for air and if this draws a blank you could try a leak of test on injectors. Also have crank/cam sensor tested i had a similar problem with a bmw and it turned out to be the cam sensor good luck

the garage has just come back to me saying their leak tests were inconclusive and i should look at replacing all 5 injectors, so annoying as when the car does eventually start with over cranking and gets some heat in the system the car runs perfectly and starts straight away again.

also just to add on the way back from the garage the car was running ok but there was more than usual smoke coming out of the exhaust when idle.. so points towards injectors?

If you accelerate flat out does it sometimes make a knocking sound from the engine?

It's pretty cheap to get the fuel lines & "O" rings replaced (compared to injectors). They need to have a look at all the fuel lines, these go brittle over time due to heat from in the engine bay. I had the same symptoms with my 270 and it turned out to be a perished fuel pipe, it was £16 from Mercedes and luckily I can do pretty much any work on the car so no labour costs. This was done a year ago and never had an issue since. You would think diesel would be visible from the perished hose(s) but they looked bone dry but with minor cracking in the rubber so easily over-looked. I think many have solved the issue with just the "O" rings being replaced (couple of quid + labour).

Worth looking into this properly before delving into injector purchase. It is a common fault if you google it (see below)

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/part...lk270-replacement-fuel-pipe-part-numbers.html

Clk 270 cdi cold start problems [Archive] - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

I did all the O-rings (6 of A6019970645) over the weekend after suffering similar problems to the op. Four looked as good as new but two were very flattened. Unfortunately it seems to have made the problem worse! Looking at the existing hoses it is clear that two of the three have been replaced in the last 4 years, hence only two O-rings looking dodgy. My guess is that by disturbing the remaining hose I have created a small air leak in it at the union. Popped into dealers last night and picked up a replacement and will fit it over the weekend. It is the one that threads between the fuel rail and wiring loom so I can see why it got missed!

I guess the moral of my story is don't bother with the O-rings if the hoses are clearly old (Ironically they won't be clear if they are old but slightly yellowed!) just dive in and replace them. The replacements on the car already had the date and time of manufacture printed on them so it is easy to check.

thanks all for the helpful replies, ive got the car back as ive lost faith in that garage so ive ordered all 3 replacement pipes which come with the o rings and im going to change them over this weekend. pipes came to around £98 so fingers crossed.

well i am one happy man... turns out the garage changed 2 out of the 3 pipes for the fuel so i changed the last one that runs from the fuel filter and the car started happily this morning :D mad to think that one little pipe seal can cause these problems.. thanks to everyone for their help as i would have forked out over 1k for new injectors that i didnt need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom