CLK 270 with manual 'box - Good idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sbloxxy

Hi everyone. Looking to buy a used CLK 270 and I've got my eye on one at the moment and its got the six speed manual gearbox. Back in the nineties, I used to work at a Mercedes dealership and I remember hill starts could be interesting in manual box cars. Is that still the case?
So what are people's thoughts on a CLK with a manual gearbox? And how about values - is it fair to suggest that an auto gearbox car should be worth a little more?
Thanks.

Why would hill starts be more interesting than any other manual cars? Something with the parking brake...?

Automatic transmission adds at least £1k to any mercedes, as long as the car itself is worth more than that. ;-)

I think and its only my opinion. That a Mercedes manual gbox is fine (and I drive slushboxes most of the time) Have driven a few manuals from 190s through to 203/4s and they are OK.

OK you are doing the Hokey Kokey with your left leg and left arm far too often but if the price is right and it floats your boat, do it. Hill starts are fine with a little practice.

Dealers/sellers love to knock the price down on manuals but I don't see why. Its a bit like buying a yellow car. "Very distinctive Sir, exactly the right choice. Then come trade it and its "wailing and gnashing of teeth and no one wants a yellow car"

The manual box is not as bad as many would have you believe. It will be much harder to sell when you decide to change and therefore needs to be a lot less money than an equivalent auto.

Given a choice, and there is plenty of choice where you're looking, I can't rationalise why anyone would chose a manual rather than an automatic.
But it's your money so buy whatever's best for you.

I think and its only my opinion. That a Mercedes manual gbox is fine (and I drive slushboxes most of the time) Have driven a few manuals from 190s through to 203/4s and they are OK.

OK you are doing the Hokey Kokey with your left leg and left arm far too often but if the price is right and it floats your boat, do it. Hill starts are fine with a little practice.

Dealers/sellers love to knock the price down on manuals but I don't see why. Its a bit like buying a yellow car. "Very distinctive Sir, exactly the right choice. Then come trade it and its "wailing and gnashing of teeth and no one wants a yellow car"

Other than me, and to be honest I never set out to buy one, and a reasonable number of Porsche owners.
Sometimes it's good not to be driving a silver or blue one when every one else is...and as I never intend to sell, it really is a moot point.

Yes, I'm refering to the parking brake rather than the actual 'box itself: as mentioned, its just tricky to master coming to a stop on a hill rather than actually pulling away.
I always felt the actual six speed box was quite nice.
But I also remember that Mercedes used to charge an extra £1500 or so for an auto box.
On the plus side, I suppose a manual gearbox car might offer better fuel consumption.

I drove a manual C-class for the last 2 years (2010 car) until a week ago and really enjoyed it, always preferred manuals... Until I tried the auto with the new E class. When it came to trade-in it became an issue and had to negotiate hard. I was given the phrase, 'spending thousands on double glazing doesn't add thousands to your house but makes it more sellable' as rationale for choosing an auto. Actually, just if d the auto a better, smoother ride and with hindsight the manual box was a little on the clunky side. Hill starts were fine because the car came with 'hill start assist' which holds the car in place when on a slope and engages itself automatically but agree that with the parking brake on a Merc as it is would certainly have made for some exciting moments if that feature wasn't there a d would definitely try it out before buying to see how comfortable you are without it.

There's something in the back of my mind about problems with manual boxes in the ML of that era. Has the same engine/ manual gearbox combo I believe. This was related to the ability of the box to stand the torque generated by the 5 cylinder diesel but may have also reflected the greater kerb weight / 4WD of the ML??

The manual is bullet proof in the 203/209.
The ML270cdi has g box issues, whether auto or manual doesn't matter if not well maintained.
Only difference is the manual is cheaper to put right.

I always say to my friends :
Once you drive auto, you wont go back to manual
Once you drive diesel, you wont go back to petrol
and finally :
Once you drive MB, you wont go back.

V12 said:
I always say to my friends :
Once you drive auto, you wont go back to manual
Once you drive diesel, you wont go back to petrol
and finally :
Once you drive MB, you wont go back.

I actually agree with all of this but add once you get an estate you'll never go back to a saloon or coupe.

As I drive a diesel, auto, Mercedes estate I cannot see what I can buy that's better.

I actually agree with all of this but add once you get an estate you'll never go back to a saloon or coupe.

As I drive a diesel, auto, Mercedes estate I cannot see what I can buy that's better.

:p

I actually agree with all of this but add once you get an S Class you'll never go back to an E or C.

As I drive a diesel, auto, Mercedes S Class I cannot see what I can buy that's better.

V12 said:
:p

I actually agree with all of this but add once you get an S Class you'll never go back to an E or C.

As I drive a diesel, auto, Mercedes S Class I cannot see what I can buy that's better.

I've had two E classes. An E class is a big C class.

An S class is however lovely if comfort is the out and out priority but I'd have to have something more nimble to drive. A class is sufficiently comfortable not to want something more comfortable.

That's why there is no finer car than mine

Last edited:
one thing to note is that same engine (270cdi) has different torque: by my memory should be 40kgm auto and 37kgm the manual

this at least on C W203

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom