Clk 270cdi 55 plate auto gearbox sticking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alf1956

Car
clk270 55 plate diesel
I have a 55 plate Clk 270 cdi with 130,000 miles, every now & then the gearbox will not change up into top gear & if i try to change it into "S" sport mode form the "C" mode on the switch adjacent to the gear change & it will not switch over to "S" mode but when the gearbox is working normally i can switch it from "C" to "S" mode wothout a problem. I have bought a gearbox dipstick & checked the level which seems to be fine. Anybody had this problem or got any ideas on it please?

Has it ever had a gearbox oil change?

Have you looked for stored gearbox faults? - I'm going to guess that it says the speed sensor input is implausible.

If the fluid has been changed reasonably recently, it might be time to have the electroplate looked at.

If it has the speed sensor faults then electroplate as said above.

i would read the faults before doing an ATF change as if the electroplate needs changing, the ATF will need to come out anyway

Thank you for all your comments.
It has never had a gearbox oil change, i will book it in for any faults to be diagnosed to see if it shows any gearbox issues & then take it from there, thanks again people.

Should have had 3 ATF changes by now!

Hi, what is the transmission fluid like ? does it smell burnt ? is it red or a brownish colour ?

Today I was driving & the car would not change up into top gear so I tried a few experiments, I tried to manually change gear by knocking the gear lever over but it didn't change gear, then I tried to change the mode from C to S again no joy then moved the gear into neutral & then back into drive & it went straight into a low gear & would not change up at all so I pulled in & turned the car off & started it & drove off with it changing up & down the box no problems. I have had it not changing up & I have stopped & turned it off & started it again & it goes back to driving perfectly normal. I t will go for days without a problem then out of the blue it will not change up to top gear so I am wondering why when I turn it on & off it runs perfect so could it be electronic & when you turn it on & off it re-sets itself?

Classic symptoms of a failing electroplate.

Could run for months/years with the occasional 'lock-up', but one day the fault will go hard and you will be stuck.

Best take the car to a good indy to replace the electroplate. About £700 usually, there are cheaper solutions available which involve removing your electroplate and sending it away to be repaired.

These plates are 'theft related parts' so replacements require on line coding to your car, and only dealers or indys with an online connection to MBs servers can do this. Repaired plates do not need this coding as it is already matched to your car.

You really need to have it looked at ! Assume not done so yet from your post. Minimum it needs GB oil and filter change but should be put on Star to find exactly what is happening, if its the speed sensor and needs an electroplate then that needs doing before you waste money changing the g/box fluid and filter as it will need doing at same time.

Definitely electroplate, more specifically would be the speed sensor.

You could get the codes read to be certain but the symptoms are there. Eventually, it will stick in gear and turning it on and off will not reset it.

If it is a 5 speed 722.6 'box, it doesn't require coding but a 7 speed would IIRC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom