CLK 270CDI Auto gearbox not changing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alf1956

Car
clk270 55 plate diesel
Hi there fellow members
I have a 55 plate clk270cdi with 125k on the clock. Today I went on a long run to the coast & back approx. a 200 mile round trip, on the way there we had no problems at all but on the way back I noticed that the revs were high when cruising along & also the cruise control would not work I never gave this a thought till we got back & was dropping somebody off 5 miles from home & when I went to put the car in reverse to turn round it would not go in but then after 30 seconds or so of me moving the gear shift up & down it went into reverse & then on the short journey home I noticed the car wasn't changing up so the revs were on 3,000. When I got home I parked the car on the drive for around 10 minutes or so & took it round the estate & it was changing gear normally. I believe that the autobox is a sealed unit that does not require any topping up but I am wondering if it does need some gearbox oil can anybody advise me please?
PS*I forget to add that on the way back the cruise control would not work & showed a message along the lines off speedtronic fault visit workshop, I am wondering if this is maybe because the car was not going into top gear & the cruise control only functions when in top gear?

Last edited:
its not a sealed box,get a dipstick from ebay and check the level but the car must be at working temp

Thanks mate, a daft question but are they listed as merc clk 270 dipsticks or are they for another model that is used on the clk270? will it go into the tube with the red stopper in ?

I have found this one on ebay item number 381251213683 is this the correct one?

gear box issue

hi all, i have a clk 230 compressor sport 1998, and i have a problem im hoping someone can help me with.when i first move my gear stick into the drive position there is a graunching sound from the gear box. this sounds like some sort of dry linkage or a push rod, im aware that my breaks front and back are hydrolic but i get the same graunching noise when i lift off the break peddle, but this only happens when i first move into the drive position. but the car and gear change is silent when the car is in motion. can anybody help ? it would be much appreciated. hope im posting this in the rightr place, i find this site a little confusing to navigate. regards jethro

hi all, i have a clk 230 compressor sport 1998, and i have a problem im hoping someone can help me with.when i first move my gear stick into the drive position there is a graunching sound from the gear box. this sounds like some sort of dry linkage or a push rod, im aware that my breaks front and back are hydrolic but i get the same graunching noise when i lift off the break peddle, but this only happens when i first move into the drive position. but the car and gear change is silent when the car is in motion. can anybody help ? it would be much appreciated. hope im posting this in the rightr place, i find this site a little confusing to navigate. regards jethro

As you have a different problem to the one posted it would be better if you start a new thread of your own with a specific title as you are likely to receive more appropriate responses

See here about half way up on the left "New Thread" https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/ :thumb:

Last edited:
PS*I forget to add that on the way back the cruise control would not work & showed a message along the lines off speedtronic fault visit workshop, I am wondering if this is maybe because the car was not going into top gear & the cruise control only functions when in top gear?

Cruise works in lower gears too. I forget the minimum speed but it's pretty low, and obviously it works at 30 and the car won't be in top then.

The gearbox pilot bush (where the wiring connects) is common - I noticed a patch on the drive when mine leaked but the car still drove normally.

Standard advice is to get the car on StarDiagnose and check for stored faults, otherwise you're just guessing randomly.

I had the same issue with my old clk270. it turned out to be contamination of the gearbox oil, caused by the oil cooler failing. Ended up having to have the gearbox rebuilt.

yours might just be the level. when was the fluid replaced? This could be worth doing.

I have not had the ATF replaced its still the original & the car has done 124k. What type of ATF will it need ?

Hello, I have just been googling around looking at various things to do with my auto gearbox problem & I came across a you tube video of a clk with transmission problems & it was on tick over & was making a noise similar to a can rattling which my car is doing but I thought it was the heat shield on the exhaust that had become loose but it stops when you rev the engine, can anybody tell me what causes this noise please? I am now fearing the worse!

Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Update, Had the car up on the ramp at my mates garage & found out that the rattle was the centre exhaust bracket that was broken but still attached to the exhaust & it was rattling about when the revs were put on. The dipstick I ordered has arrived today so I am going to check the ATF level but I am wondering what you do when you have taken off the plastic clip on the top of the dipstick tube? Do you have to break the clip off or does it come off okay so it can be replaced when you take the dipstick out?

Just push it down and out.
No need to replace it as the cap stays put without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom