CLK 270cdi handbrake pedal not returning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alf1956

Car
clk270 55 plate diesel
Hello there fellow memebers.
I have a 55 plate 270 clk cdi & the handbrake pedal does not return properly when i release the handbrake lever thus making the warning buzzer come on, i can lift the handbrake pedal with my foot & it stops the warning buzzer. I was wondering if there was a return spring or something similar that may have broken or come off ?

As far as I know there is a maintenance hatch under the rear seat where lubrication will be required.
I have been in there & the handbrake is adjusted up correctly & it is all free etc & it is not sticking.

i had a simular issue on my c270 after it had been parked up at an airport for a couple of weeks. i ended up tightening up the adjuster under the rear seat this was enough to lift the brake peddle off the switch and remove the constant beeping.

THANKS ALL. Had the same problem. Pull the release lever and the handbrake pedal not reliably coming back up (Causing Handbrake warning as it should). Touch it with my foot and it comes up (whilst pulling the release handle).
This fix worked for me. I have a 2008 CLK280. Lifted up the rear seats (they are hinged). Pulled back the carpet. Undid one big nut and 2 screws (with hex heads). Took off the cover.
Saw the Handbrake Cable joined into a triangular mechanism with the cables going out to the rear wheels (It looked really dry). Sprayed it all over with WD40. Released the handbrake and sprayed some more. Put everything back on. Works fine now. Whole thing took me about 15 minutes start to finish.

I have a 55 plate 270 clk cdi & the handbrake pedal does not return properly when i release the handbrake lever thus making the warning buzzer come on, i can lift the handbrake pedal with my foot & it stops the warning buzzer. I was wondering if there was a return spring or something similar that may have broken or come off ?

Mine was catching on the carpet as it was bulging out...

Make sure it's not that.

If not any indie can readjust it for 30 mins labour

As far as I know there is a maintenance hatch under the rear seat where lubrication will be required.

Totally agree with the lubrication of that area, it is the most common for the issue that you are having.

I have the same problem with my 2005 CLK, solution... I don't bother with the handbrake

^^^ The MOT tester will ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom