Clk 270cdi new springs to fit front&rear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alf1956

Car
clk270 55 plate diesel
I have a 55 plate 270cdi which has failed the MOT on a broken front & rear spring so I have always been told that its best to change them as a pair. I have not changed springs on this car before & I was wondering if there are any problems that I may have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rear springs are a simple swap out as once the car is raised in the air the springs are no longer under any load, simply unbolt the outer lower control arm bolt, bottom damper bolt and then pull the old spring out and replace. The front however are in a strut assembly, easy enough to get the complete strut of the car but would suggest having a garage remove the spring and refit the new one to the strut as they are under a fair degree of compression and require spring clamps during removal/refitting. I would suggest a geometry set up afterwards.

Job done & all four springs fitted, as a previous post stated the rear are very easy to do just remove the plastic protection cover which gains you access to the retaining bolt & undo the bolt & pull the suspension arm & remove the old spring & put in the new one. The fronts are a different ball game though, not a bad job to remove the whole strut assembly just a little fiddly with the plastic clip the goes around the bottom of the strut but here comes the difficult part which is compressing the springs to remove the old spring luckily I was doing this at a friends garage & they had a set of commercial spring compressors the are shaped the same as the spring but even so it was difficult, what surprised me though was the size of the retaining nut that holds the spring cup onto the strut as it is approx. 3/4mm with just a few threads on it which for a nut that is taking so much pressure from the spring had me very worried! As a previous post stated the compressing of the springs is something not to be attempted with the diy spring compressors as its way too dangerous & a big risk of physical damage to anybody near it & the ramifications of the spring compressors failing & it coming off are unthinkable.The cost of all four springs made by Kilen from a local motor factors was £115 which I think was very reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom