Clk 270cdi water from header tank going into washer bottle??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alf1956

Car
clk270 55 plate diesel
Hello fellow members'
I have a very strange thing happening to my 55 plate Clk270cdi auto, I have noticed that I am putting lots of water in the header tank on a daily basis at first I thought it may be the problem with the valeo radiator scenario but I checked the transmission fluid regular & the level has not risen so today I was topping up the header tank & the washer bottle so with the top of the washer bottle I topped up the header tank & noticed to my amazement that the water level in the washer bottle rose as I poured water in the header tank & subsequently the water level went down in accordance with the water bottle level going up! I also noticed that I have a tiny pinhole leak on a plastic elbow situated at the rear of the engine on the passenger side (I will attach a photo). This has puzzled me no end as I cannot see the connection between the header tank & washer bottle & will be grateful for any advice on this problem

Attachments

• merc water leak 1.JPG
    merc water leak 1.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 20
  • merc water leak 2.JPG
    merc water leak 2.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 20
Do you have heated windscreen washer tank?

Dec

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

would be surprised a 2005 merc would have this system, but it would be the perfect reply to the problem. Will wait to see if O/P states he has the system.

Hello
I looked at the washer bottle which is different to the shown in the video & sits low down just below the headlight & it does have 2 x metal pipes coming out of the top which I did think was very strange so it points to the problem that is shown in the video so hopefully the washer heating element is the same as in the video & its just an "O" ring that's failed. Has anybody done this job before as any advice would be gratefully received.

does anybody know what the plastic elbow in the photos are please, I have put a white cross on the part that is leaking

Yes that looks like mine, I have seen a few on ebay & one is about 5 miles where I live so I am hoping to get it tomorrow & get it fitted asap I'm just hoping its not a major job fitting it

Can you clamp the rubber hose to stop the coolant entry into the tank?

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom