CLK 280 (new to me)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
T

tanuie

Hi

Having had a 3 month break from Mercedes, had a Golf GTi Mk5, realised how much I missed having a Mercedes.

Had a few issues with the DSG gearbox on the golf which was resolved at a cost of £2300 - luckily paid through warranty - but had no confidence in the car and at the end of the day wanted a Mercedes back. Hindsight is a good thing - should never have sold my Black CLK320 - but there you are.

Hence have bought a 2008 280 Convertible - black with red seats - see photos.

Bought from a reputable dealer in Kent - but didn't enjoy paying the admin fee of £192! - can't see why? However premises were good and treated me well - didn't get what I thought the golf was worth - but they went over the car with a fine tooth comb and pointed out quite a few issues which I couldn't deny.

Also don't agree with the £500 road tax. As I looked at another 2008 280 and the road tax was £295. I understand the tax bands but do not agree with it. However, liked the car too much to put me off - there is always compromises and the Tax and admin fee was the compromise.

Attachments

• Club 1.jpg
    Club 1.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Club 2.jpg
    Club 2.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Interior 3.jpg
    Interior 3.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 59
Nice. The front fog surrounds are so much nicer than on my C55, wish I could get those.

Not sure id want to pay 500quid tax on anything less than a V8 AMG though. What a con.

Had mine for a year now. It's a lazy 6 but get it up around 4k and it's got a nice howl
Enjoy

The 500 quid is a pita, but it is what it is....

Looks very nice

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Looks fantastic and what a colour combo!!
That colour is 'Flamenco Red' btw :)

Also don't agree with the £500 road tax. As I looked at another 2008 280 and the road tax was £295. I understand the tax bands but do not agree with it. However, liked the car too much to put me off - there is always compromises and the Tax and admin fee was the compromise.

Just looked up the CLK280 - it is 227g/km which is literally 1g/km above the 226g/km which puts them in the £500 bracket.

Unless you can get a manual CLK280, which would mean lower emissions, the only way a CLK280 could be in the lower bracket is if it was pre-23/03/06.

Most irritating but as you say, if you like the car enough it doesn't matter.

I now pay the same but I don't care - it's only another £200 a year...

Just looked up an April 2008 CLK280 in the VCA tax tables.

If it has 225 or 245 tyres at the rear it's £295pa, but with 255 tyres at rear it's £500.

That's slightly different to my 2006 CLK280 where 17 inch wheels at rear are £295, but 18 inch wheels at rear are £500.

Guess they are following specific CO2 values closely above and below the 225 K to L band change.

Maybe there is some scope for amendment or is the tax band fixed to the equipment on originally supplied for a particular car?

Last edited:
I suspect it's fixed to the car as originally specified when it was first registered.

I don't feel quite so bad about paying the £500 for a 350 now; it's clearly solidly in that band.

I believe once set the tax band cannot be changed.

Did you check the engine isn't one of the faulty ones with the balance shaft issues?

You could buy an oiler CLK instead and spend way more than £200 you save on vehicle tax - on leaking injectors and blown turbos instead... :bannana:

Love it! Got an 03 320 myself and loving every minute of it ahah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom