CLK 280 Sport - issue with 19" offsets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T24TUM

Car
E400 Convertible
Hi all,

I have seen that wheels and tyres has a lot of posts, and have searched and think I have found the answer but would appreciate if anyone could confirm.

I have a 2005 CLK 280 Sport. I have bought some staggered 19" alloys (8.5 and 9.5) and have fitted 235/35/19 front, 265/30/19 rear - this seems the correct tyre sizes.

My garage tried to fit the front wheels and the alloy is not clearing the large brake caliper (its a sport caliper with Mercedes written on it, its the standard fit for the Sport I understand). The offset of the alloy is 35. So the garage said that I will need a wheel with a different offset and I am waiting to hear back from the place that I bought the wheels.

I have looked on the chart on this forum and I believe that it suggests that the offset for the back is fine at 35, but the front needs to be 29. Does this mean that if I used some spacers of 6mm that the wheel should fit? And if so does anyone know where I should buy such spacers from and will this cause any other issues?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Just as an update, the alloy wheel supplier has offered to supply a "15mm hubcentric wheel kit" to address the problem, although I dont know exactly what this is, does any one else know about these things?

I assume these are replica's hence the problem.

If you use spacers make sure that they are "hub centric" spacers to stop any vibration issues. Try ebay you need 112 stud pattern

T7RYB, you seem to have the same wheels as I have bought, did you have problems fitting or do you not have the large caliper sticking out on yours? Have you ever had to use spacers or these hub centric items, do they cause any other issues apart from possibly vibration?

Oh and yes they are replicas, the real ones are a couple of thousand I think, very expensive...

Last edited:
No spacers. Just a straight fit. Mine does have the big calipers.

15mm front spacers would make it an effective 19x8.5ET20 which is very low, ie possibility of wheelarches not providing coverage.

In the end I used 10mm spacers front, 15mm rear - perfect:thumb:

Attachments

• CLK Conv.jpg
    CLK Conv.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 37

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom