CLK 280 tyre pressure - Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KP090

Car
Mercedes 06 CLK 280 Sport
Hi guys,

I know this topic probably has done a million rounds on the forum so apologies but I still can’t find a proper answer to my question.

I have Michelin tyres on my CLK 280 sport 2006 plate.

Front: 225/40/ZR18 92Y
Rear: 255/35/ZR19 94Y

The tyre pressure I have is 35psi all round but I’m not sure if this is correct.

I keep seeing on forums that a lot of ppl have higher and a lot have lower such as 31 front 33 rear.

The Michelin website suggests for my particular car and tyre sizes to have 30psi in front and 33psi in rear tyres.

The tyre pressure chart that I’ve attached a pic from my car’s petrol flap suggests on normal load to have 36psi all round. I would have thought though the chart would also mention the tyre size like other cars have...

Does this sound normal to do 36 all round or should I follow what it says on the Michelin website? Or should I stick with 35psi all round? What tyre pressure does everyone have or suggest?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• C997162F-16E9-4EB4-981F-429D032BCD2A.jpeg
    C997162F-16E9-4EB4-981F-429D032BCD2A.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 8
**Sorry correction rear tyres are 18inch not 19inch**

When I had mine with same size tyres as yours I ran 33 and 35
But it is down to personal pref

It's a quid a time

Between 30 and 35 shouldn't impact the car, suspension or tyres but fill them cold and use some trial and error imho......

The guide in the fuel filler flap is the manufacturers suggestion.

Start at 35 PSI front and rear and the monitor tyre wear. If they’re wearing faster in the centre then reduce the pressure by day 2 PSI. It they’re wearing faster in the edge then increase the pressure by say 2 PSI.

When I had mine with same size tyres as yours I ran 33 and 35
But it is down to personal pref

It's a quid a time

Between 30 and 35 shouldn't impact the car, suspension or tyres but fill them cold and use some trial and error imho......

I’ve been using 35psi all round but hearing that my cousin uses 32psi on a bmw 7 series made me think as to why even with the petrol flap chart saying 36psi why it’s higher?

I do find the ride quality though to be quite harsh when I’ve topped up my tyre pressure back to 35 psi even with braking I think it’s less responsive so was wondering what the correct psi should be especially with Michelin suggestion being much lower than MB recommendation.

Start at 35 PSI front and rear and the monitor tyre wear. If they’re wearing faster in the centre then reduce the pressure by day 2 PSI. It they’re wearing faster in the edge then increase the pressure by say 2 PSI.

Would the Michelin recommendation for my tyres of 30 and 33 be more reliable than MB suggestion of 36 all round?

I do 35 all round but find the ride quality a bit harsh and less gripy but since I saw the Michelin recommendation it’s made me think twice and also seeing other cars that are a lot bigger with less tyre pressure..

Would the Michelin recommendation for my tyres of 30 and 33 be more reliable than MB suggestion of 36 all round?

I do 35 all round but find the ride quality a bit harsh and less gripy but since I saw the Michelin recommendation it’s made me think twice and also seeing other cars that are a lot bigger with less tyre pressure..

Did the car come from the factory with the tyre and wheel size that you have now?

If it did not, then you can disregard the sticker on the inside of the fuel flap.

Did the car come from the factory with the tyre and wheel size that you have now?

If it did not, then you can disregard the sticker on the inside of the fuel flap.

as far as I know clk 280 sport comes factory fitted with 18inch alloys, the only thing that might be different is that the tyres may have been continental tyres at factory rather than the Michelin I have on now..

It’s hard to understand why Michelin would have diff tyre pressure suggestion?

+1,whatever the fuel filler flap says.

+1,whatever the fuel filler flap says.

So as per the pic I uploaded earlier, I should do 36psi all round? I’ve been doing 35psi.. but doesn’t Michelin say 30 front 33 rear which is quite the difference so can’t make sense why it’s so different... plus the bumpy less grip ride..

I’ve been using 35psi all round but hearing that my cousin uses 32psi on a bmw 7 series made me think as to why even with the petrol flap chart saying 36psi why it’s higher?
Or alternatively, why not ask as to why the BMW has lower recommended pressures?

You are not comparing like for like, you cannot just assume that two tyres of similar or identical size will require the same pressure settings. Tyres have a variation in sidewall stiffness as well as in other areas. All you can do is experiment with different tyre pressures until you find a set up that you are happy with.

Or alternatively, why not ask as to why the BMW has lower recommended pressures?

You are not comparing like for like, you cannot just assume that two tyres of similar or identical size will require the same pressure settings. Tyres have a variation in sidewall stiffness as well as in other areas. All you can do is experiment with different tyre pressures until you find a set up that you are happy with.

I know both the cars aren’t like for like and I’m not really an expert I just thought seeing the 7 series is a lot heavier it would have had higher pressures than my CLK...

I guess I’ll just stick to my 35psi all round and forget I ever saw the Michelin recommendation lol unless someone else can say what psi I should exactly lol

I know both the cars aren’t like for like and I’m not really an expert I just thought seeing the 7 series is a lot heavier it would have had higher pressures than my CLK...

I guess I’ll just stick to my 35psi all round and forget I ever saw the Michelin recommendation lol unless someone else can say what psi I should exactly lol

As has been said, those are recommendations, they are not absolutes. The tyre manufacturer cannot know what car the tyres will be fitted to.

Try them at 33psi and see how they feel, if still harsh try 31psi.

My MB E class had the pressures set at 36 psi all round when I got it and the ride was not only harsh but the steering and handling were skittish. I now run my 265/35/18 and 245/40/18 Goodyear tyres at 32 psi and it is now much more comfortable with much better steering and handling response.

So as per the pic I uploaded earlier, I should do 36psi all round? I’ve been doing 35psi.. but doesn’t Michelin say 30 front 33 rear which is quite the difference so can’t make sense why it’s so different... plus the bumpy less grip ride..
I would go up/down a psi or two from cold and see if it affects mpg/ride quality and adjust accordingly.

Bear in mind that even on a 3Ltr V6, MB will quote fuel efficient friendly tyre pressures.
Bonkers really

As others say, try a few pressures for a few weeks and see what you prefer, its your car, preference, bones and teeth.....
Anywhere between 30 and 35 will be fine, less will hit fuel a bit, but its a 3lt V6 - its not built for efficiency really

And those are the tyre sizes the car comes with (and mine was on)
When it comes time to change tyres, some are more compliant (non XL I believe) tyres which can make a difference, but only when its time to change.

Bear in mind that even on a 3Ltr V6, MB will quote fuel efficient friendly tyre pressures.
Bonkers really

As others say, try a few pressures for a few weeks and see what you prefer, its your car, preference, bones and teeth.....
Anywhere between 30 and 35 will be fine, less will hit fuel a bit, but its a 3lt V6 - its not built for efficiency really

And those are the tyre sizes the car comes with (and mine was on)
When it comes time to change tyres, some are more compliant (non XL I believe) tyres which can make a difference, but only when its time to change.

I think im going to try the pressures at 33 all round and see how i get on as going to 34 from 35 all round prob wont make any difference.

Thank you

As has been said, those are recommendations, they are not absolutes. The tyre manufacturer cannot know what car the tyres will be fitted to.

Try them at 33psi and see how they feel, if still harsh try 31psi.

My MB E class had the pressures set at 36 psi all round when I got it and the ride was not only harsh but the steering and handling were skittish. I now run my 265/35/18 and 245/40/18 Goodyear tyres at 32 psi and it is now much more comfortable with much better steering and handling response.

ill try 33 all round and see how i get on, got a long trip tomorrow so perfect to experiment, thanks for the help

Unless my eyes are broken it says 35 PSI front and rear. There is no “right”, so experiential and see what works for you.

I personally go for whatever gives me the flattest tyre wear, and that’s usually very close to the part loaded figure (35 PSI in your case).

Unless my eyes are broken it says 35 PSI front and rear. There is no “right”, so experiential and see what works for you.

I personally go for whatever gives me the flattest tyre wear, and that’s usually very close to the part loaded figure (35 PSI in your case).

thank you! Appreciate the help... so you think 33 is fine or prob better to go up one to 34 as 35 just seems to bumpy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom