CLK 320 Avantguard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S7EV3N

Hi

This is my first post and i am looking for some advice to get me into my first MB.

I'm keen on buying a revised model CLK and am looking for some general buying advice.

I have my eye on a nice example 2003 (03 plate) clk 320 Avantguard, automatic, one owner, full MB history, black with full leather which is at a local independant garage. It has 41k miles on it.

It's priced up at £20,995 but i should be able to get it a bit cheaper.

Does this sound like a fair price ?

I have been surprised to see that there are a lot of cencerns about rusting mercs and wonder if it is still aproblem on 2003 cars.

Are there any there any other areas of teh car that are worth checking.

I'm also keen to find out about service intervals. How often would a service be required and are there any particulary expensive services ( ie timing belts etc ) ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Stevie

hello and welcome to the forum

bought my first MB also several weeks ago and am over the moon with it. mine is a 1999 320 clk avt conv model with 75k on it but in exel cond. most of the members will prob tell you black is an absolute swine to keep on top of (polishing etc) price sounds ok but don`t be shy try and get him down a bit especially if your paying cash.if poss take a friend who may know about cars and give yourself plenty of time to check it over don`t be rushed.(spent 2hrs checking mine over) see AA/RAC web sites for buyers checklists. check with your local stealership for service prices and get them to run a full check on the chassis number for free.

good luck and happy driving :D

Stevie,

Welcome to the forum. I used to have a '02 version of the car you're looking at. A lovely car spoilt by a) rust developing on the bootlid, b) paint 'spidering' on the bonnet c) various bits of trim either falling off or just ageing very badly d) terrible aftersales response from supplying dealer. This was a 30k miler as well, which I pampered, purchased from a Merc Main Stealer.

I'd say get it checked over very carefully indeed before spending your money.
Perhaps mine was a Friday afternoon car, but it was enough for me to sell it back to MB after 11 months of ownership :(

Hopefully your potential new ride will be a good'un and you'll have a better CLK experience than I did. Hope so, as they are a very nice looking car and great to sit/waft along in.

Steve

It surprises me to hear about these quality isues, especially the rust !!

This particular car is the newer model. Did they manage to sort out any of the problems when they revised the model in 2002 ?

I currently drive a 2003 model Porsche Boxster. How does the Mer compare to the Boxster hammerhead ?

Might place an advert on the forum to see if anyone fancies some sort of swap.

Stevie

S7EV3N said:
It surprises me to hear about these quality isues, especially the rust !!
It suprised me too, I can tell you.

S7EV3N said:
This particular car is the newer model. Did they manage to sort out any of the problems when they revised the model in 2002 ?
Mine was one of the first of the current shape off the production line (ie same as what you're looking at). Speced up to the hilt with virtually everything 'cept a sunroof/rader cruise control - which was nice :p Word on this forum is that quality went up from '04 onwards hence why I suggest to check it thoroughly before you decide to go that way. The CLK is a class act (assuming you get a good'un).

S7EV3N said:
I currently drive a 2003 model Porsche Boxster. How does the Mer compare to the Boxster hammerhead ?
Completely different cars, chalk and cheese! I had a 2.7 Boxster before the CLK. Whereas the Boxster is a taught, agile sports car, the CLK is a refined mile muncher. The tourque produced by the Merc's 320 is superb, picks up very quickly from low down the rev range compared to the peaky 2.7 Boxster. I noticed how my heart rate was at least 20% lower when driving the Merc. Just the thing if you just want to waft. In terms of handling though, the Boxster is a dart. The CLK majors on waft factor.

S7EV3N said:
Might place an advert on the forum to see if anyone fancies some sort of swap.
Worth a go as you never know :)

All the best,

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom