CLK 320 battery + short to earth!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Westminster Tab

Car
CLK320 1998
Hi I'm a new member.

1998 CLK320 petrol 92,000 miles. Stored for three years, battery dead, I replaced the battery along with the starter motor, and a new petrol filter. I took it for a two mile spin, ran fairly well, engine needs tuning. This is a pristine unblemished example inside and out, owned and only driven by a real King, not British monarchy, unfortunately. Nobody has ever sat in the back seats!

Went to it a week later, new battery completely flat, removed it for charging. The front drivers seat has moved forward closer to the steering wheel. The positive terminal is a direct short to earth, separated the three cables at positive battery connection, they all go direct to earth. All fuses 1 to 27 and 39 to 45, go direct to earth with the battery removed. I can use a meter, trace wiring, but I’m lost with this type of fault!

Any help gratefully received, I’m a pensioner, can’t afford this car but would love to spend my final years with a bit of quality!

Good morning.
What method are you using to determine that these circuits go directly to earth?

Thanks for responding Ted.

A regular multimeter on it's lowest setting. The drivers seat has moved forward since it was parked, does that give a clue?

I seem to remember that the seat modules can cause a drain on the battery so it could be that.
A dmm checking one of the main positive is likely to give a low resistance due to the number of feeds off it.
Personally I would reconnect and check for a parasitic drain - particularly on the seat control.

Ted

If I connect the battery, put the seat back in a drivable position; is it possible to remove the seat module and then check for the drain? I'd like to be able to just remove the seat fuse, but that seems not to be the case!

Is the seat module located under the seat?

Unfortunately, the car is two hours away from me in Wallingford, making it a four hour round trip before I start.

I think I've lost the battle on this!

Tab

Hi,
I think the module Ted is on about is the Door Control Module, which controls the movement of the seat, and are known to cause a drain on the battery.
It is fitted actually in the door, the door card needs to be removed to gain access, unplug it and if the battery holds its charge then you have located the issue.
Video how to remove the door card on a 208 CLK, apologies but its not in English but it shows quite well how to do it without understanding the words.
[YOUTUBE]bRImYhNeYbo[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you Andy for putting it better than I could.
Tab can never be 100% but it certainly sounds like that.

Hi

Thanks folks for your assistance. Can I ask you this; "Are you basing your diagnosis on the forward movement of the drivers seat, the flat battery caused by a known seat module problem, or both?"

I have to move the car to a more accessible location, it's 50 miles from my home! If I reinstall the battery, adjust the seat to a driving position then remove the seat module, apart from the seat adjustment, how would you check to be certain that this was the problem? I can't afford it to break down on the motorway travelling home!

I'm sure this old girl, even with her pristine interior and paintwork, has many more dysfunctional parts to surprise me, let's hope not on the way home!

Thanks again
Tab

Modelman

My first though, but this is a Merc!
The fuse designation chart states: Seat adjustment right Fuse 7, 8, 9, all of them?
They also effect other options!

Tab

Good morning Tab

"Are you basing your diagnosis on the forward movement of the drivers seat, the flat battery caused by a known seat module problem, or both?"

Both. The door control module/seat module is known to fail causing a discharge. The fact that the seat also appears to have moved adds weight to the theory.

My opinion fwiw would be to fully charge the battery (off the car), reconnect and check that all works - starting, lights etc, if possible move the seat to a comfortable position, (this may not be possible) disconnect any cables that look like they go to the seat motors (have a search on the forum, I would think that this has been done before), and drive it to a reputable indy for a diagnosis/fix.

Also remember that whilst the C208 is a great looking car, and the 320 engine is a beauty, the value will be around £1,000 so may not be worth spending too much on it.
The fact that it was owned by a king won't add any value (unless it was Elvis Presley).

All IMHO of course.

Thank you Ted

"FWIW", has and is great advice, for which I am grateful.

Tomorrow I'll remove the door module, or the wiring if that's possible.
But, if I can't move the seat back it will be undrivable, and expensive to uplift.

I'm driving an 05 plate Passat at the moment, but the diesel question and London entry is looming! I understand this is just a £1,000 car, but this is a pristine beauty with fsh and still many miles left in her. Not sure that I'm in as good condition! The previous owner and only driver was His Majesty King Abdullah 11 of Jordan, it was lavishly looked after!

Many thanks for your advice.
Tab

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom