clk 320 misfire?

Discussion in 'Engine' started by stevencolman1, Jun 6, 2011.

1. stevencolman1

stevencolman1 New Member

Car:
    2000 clk 320 avantgarde
    Hey guys,
    i'm new to the mercedes forum so bare with me.

ive owned my 2000 clk 320 avantgarde for about 6 months now and up until now it hasnt missed a beat. last week i had just left my house to nip to the shop in it and i was 2 minutes from my house and it started to run rough and the check engine light came on, pulled over to the side of the road popped the bonnet and it sounds like its running on 4/5 of the 6 cylinders and the engine was shaking all over the engine bay, its idling realy rough, struggling to rev and sometimes dropping to 500-600rpm ish.

so i limped the car home and checked the basics, plenty of fuel in the tank, checked for spark at all 12 plugs with my test light. all ok. so i borrowed my friends snap on diagnostic computer, plugged it in and two faults were current, cant remember the codes but will find them and post up if needed, first fault showing was

-random misfire damages twc (three way cat)

-misfire cylinder 1 damages twc (three way cat)

so i did the usual of swapping the coil, leads and plugs from cylinder 1 to cylinder 2, cleared the codes and ran engine until the check engine light came on and plugged back into it. there was no change at all and the scanner still showed the same 2 faults random misfire and misfire cylinder 1.

i did a bit of research and googled my problem and i found that the first thing people try is the maf, so i purchased a new maf (albeit a cheapo one off ebay) fitted and it made no difference whatsoever. now i no most people say dont use the cheapo mafs as they dont last but i didnt want to shell out for an expensive bosch or merc one if it had nothing to do with the maf. you would think evan a cheapo maf would make some sort of improvement?

all i could think to try next was the injector on cylinder 1, so i purchased a new one fitted it and still no change at all.

i have since read that sometimes on certain faults with these cars the ecu shuts down certain injectors to prevent damage to the cats?

i am lost as to what to try next?

cam sensor? crank sensor?

any help would be much apreciated?

thank you in advance
    steve

2. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    You need to get it on a Star diag machine to see wht is going on.

3. OP
    OP
    stevencolman1

stevencolman1 New Member

Car:
    2000 clk 320 avantgarde
    oh ok,
    i'm a bit scared to drive it anywhere. does anybody no of somebody who can come to my house and plug it into star. in the north yorkshire yo8 area?

Tags: