CLK 320 Roof Handle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zxrichie

Car
ML350
Hi Guys.

Been having some problems with the Roof release handle on my CLK 320 2001 cabriolet. For a while now its been a bit loose, still worked, just felt loose. Had it apart and from what i could see there was nothing holding the mechanism up into the circular boss. subsequently the whole handle mechanism fell out! After investigation it looks like the 2 arms have come away from the circular rotating disc. Is there somewhere where there is a EPC i could look at because no matter how i look at the pieces i just cant see how the handle mechanism is retained.

So EPC for CLK320 2001 Cabriolet?

Rich

ps, thought i'd share a photo of my car.

Attachments

• 100_6210.jpg
    100_6210.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 260
Its a common problem im afraid... We have had a few in the dim and distant past, cant quite remember how we fixed it but I remember the parts werent cheap for what they were and it was fiddly to get the springs working properly!

If any one knows anything, please mention it, in the meantime, heres some pics, they show the mechanism and on one with the arrow, is where its now come away. there's a spigot with a pin coming up which the bars pop onto, then the brass ring put on and presumably peened over. The other pic shows the whole mechanism poking through, you can see where the plastic surround has broken away. I cant imagine this plastic ring was responsible in holding the handle assy up, as the forces exerted to pull the hood down, hold and twist are more than i would thought the plastic would take.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Attachments

• 100_6298a.jpg
    100_6298a.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 385
  • 100_6301a.jpg
    100_6301a.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 373
Mark, Thanks. Not sure i understand you, "all of the force is on the centre pin, not on the plastic cap." When the hood is closing it leaves the front 6-8 inches short of full closure. You have to grab the handle and pull down. how can the force be on anything BUT the plastic rim.

On the reverse of the handle assy, is a shaft that goes in the tube, it has a square form machined on it with a square retainer down the the hole. Not sure why it has this but i would have thought retaining the assy here would be better.

But what do i know, Mark, i might be missing something on my understanding of how it works so do tell me, i just fell a piece is missing.

Anyway, is the an EPC any where?

Rich

Mark, Thanks. Not sure i understand you, "all of the force is on the centre pin, not on the plastic cap." When the hood is closing it leaves the front 6-8 inches short of full closure. You have to grab the handle and pull down. how can the force be on anything BUT the plastic rim.

On the reverse of the handle assy, is a shaft that goes in the tube, it has a square form machined on it with a square retainer down the the hole. Not sure why it has this but i would have thought retaining the assy here would be better.

But what do i know, Mark, i might be missing something on my understanding of how it works so do tell me, i just fell a piece is missing.

Anyway, is the an EPC any where?

Rich

I was talking about the plastic cover that is in my photo, but missing in yours :)

Here's a spring that is in the mix, it looks like it tensions the handle so when you rotate to unlock the hooks, the spring tensions up and then returns the handle back. am i missing any other bits?

Attachments

• 100_6299a.jpg
    100_6299a.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 337
Just had a look on EPC, and I can only see the handle A2087700144(folding top actuation) No cost listed as its colour coded, and What looks to be the whole locking section A2087700426 (Fastener Central) costs circa £800

Mark 2 things,

This EPC, do we all have access? and secondly..HOW MUCH!!!!!..surely you failed to put a decimal point 1 figure earlier, ie £80.0

R

No, we dont all have access, but I guess ebay could be your friend, or even google.

And sorry, no, the decimal was in the correct place :( it was something like 680 euros + vat

I am not sure if any of the parts are sold in a smaller unit, your best bet it to take it off, drive to your local MB dealer and show him whats broke, they will be in a better position to tell you exactly what they can, can not supply

Last edited:
Hi
I have the same problem - is there a photo / illustration of the retaining side of the handle latch ?

It would be really useful to know exactly what parts are required for the handle mechanism and how they fit together.

Cheers

Gary

Managed to get the roof console off - straight forwards.

Remove the gold torx screws.
Undo the 2 nuts that hold the roof lining wire.
Remove the rubber and lining partially to allow the console to be lifted out.

This pic shows the console out and the washer that has come of the rear of the roof handle !

31072011448.jpg

The cover was removed 8mm to show the rear of the cylinder.

Put the washer back on using a socket to cover over the washer and thumped it in place, then used a punch on the washer to try and pinch the cylinder.

31072011449.jpg

Put all back together and..... handle became dislodged again as the washer came off. :wallbash:

It does seem to be a poor design - has anyone come up with a good work around....I wondered if welding the washer to the cylinder (if possibe!) might work......anyone tried ?

Cheers

G

hi, i have found a solution, i have secured the rotating assembly with and e clip (a groove was required on the handle spigot) at the point it pokes through the square hole. i'll post some pics up later. oh, buy the way, Gary, thanks for having a go at an alternative solution, dont know if yours has come off to or you were just helping, whichever it is , Thanks.

Rich

Here are some pics of my solution.

first one shows the e-clip arrangement on the handle mechanismn, the shaft pokes through the cylindrical piece on the second piccy and the e-clip secures it from the other side. It allows it to rotate, but takes the downward force when you pull the hood down.

What do you all think?

Rich

Attachments

• 100_6383.jpg
    100_6383.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 337
  • 100_6299a.jpg
    100_6299a.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 386
Thank you zxrichie.
I'm taking more care when I lock the header rail down after reading this thread!

Hi Rich

Yep - my handle had come off too.....seems to be a recurrent problem. The solution you came up with is exactly what I think the design should have been ..... the circlip potentially taking the strain when the handle is pulled down. How did you put the groove into the cylinder ?

At the moment I have removed the handle completely and Im using an allen key when required. It works.....but its a fudge. Cheers Gary

Gary, Hi
Sorry you seem to have the same problem, thanks for the kind words, but then i am a Design Engineer, with Black and Decker Drills , Dymo Label printers to my name.

As for the groove, i have a mate who runs an engineering company, and he machined the groove in.

If you like, once you have dismantled the handle down, if you send it to me i'll get him to do the same. I'll even supply the E-Clip.

Rich

Hi Rich

Now that sounds like a great offer - and much appreciated. Just managed to squeeze the car in the garage - so Ill take of the unit and send over. Can you PM with your contact details.

May be your friend could provide a "fix" for sale on ebay....Im pretty sure there are a lot of CLK overs who are...or will be getting problems with the handle...its such a poor design (not that Im an engineer ! ).

Cheers

Gary

Hey Rich

Just realised I cant use the PM system as not enough posts...me email is [email protected]

Cheers

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom