CLK 320 Rust Revisited

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BDE1V

Car
CLK 320 (w208)
Well it's been neally 6 months since I first contacted Mercedes regarding my rusting CLK320.
After contacting the local dealership I booked in a visit to their 3rd party bodyshop.
Guy took photos but informed me at the time that it was only covered under warranty until the end of the year (8years from manufacture).
However the head of the bodyshop disputed this and informed it was covered for 30 years but hey couldn't fit me in for 4months. (which mean't after the the car would be over 8yrs old)
A quick call to Milton Keynes re-assured me that there is no 8yr warranty period only a 30 yr warranty.
After no contact with bodyshop from Sept to end of Dec2006 I rang them the last week in 2006 to see what was happening..."No problems , we'll try & book it in February" I was told. ...Again no contact in 2007 until I rang the end of January 2007 to be informed that they were awaiting word from MBenz.
After still not hearing from anyone I decided today to ring Milton Keynes...2hrs later I hear from the bodyshop to inform me that it's out of the 8yr warranty period.
You can imagine my dissatisfaction with the rust twice as bad as it was 6 months ago & now out of the supposedly 8yr warranty period.
( Just to recap..The rear boot & two front wheel arches are now so bad they need new panels & the rear wheel arches aren't too good either).
Does anyone know a decent solicitor who has had success in the past with similar cases, or can recommend any help....It's my intention to take this matter as far as possible.

What year is your car and do you have a FMBSH?

Beware of the quality of workmanship. Im arguing with Merc now about the E-Class (1999). They have fixed it once and its STILL rusting in the places their repaired.

BDE1V
can you prove you first took the car into the dealership for this problem before the car was eight years old. If you can then you may be in with a chance, otherwise I don't think you have much chance at all as this kind of work is "goodwill" and not covered by the Mobilo warranty.

This is why MB are confident they will not be paying out on any Mobilo corrosion claims.

sorry to be a pain, but is that official about the 8 years bodywork, because i have a 2001 clk208 and have the beginings of rust around the boot lock. Would this be covered? Sorry to hijack a post

Take it in asap.
Boot lock area is a known problem so should be sorted without a problem.

Well thanks to all for the feedback and the Irwin Mitchell link.

My first call today will be Mercedes at milton Keynes as I need something in Black & White for a legal case otherwise I could be chasing shadows.

And from my own experience, my best advise to anyone with a similar rust issue would be to document everything with written details & signatures.

I'll keep the forum updated

Regards
Brian

And from my own experience, my best advise to anyone with a similar rust issue would be to document everything with written details & signatures.

I'll keep the forum updated

Regards
Brian
Hi Brian,
We all tend to leap to the defence of fellow members before we get a more detailed picture of the circumstances, could you please let me know the following:

Is the car a European import?

If not has it got a full, uninterrupted Mercedes-Benz main dealer service history?

Is it covered by the Mobilo warranty?

Has any representative from DaimlerChrysler actually said in writing that your vehicle is only covered for eight years?

Please only communicate with DaimlerChrysler via letter (not e-mail) That way you will have a copy of all documentation and nothing will be left to interpretation.

I fear that most, if not all bodywork repairs will come under the definition of goodwill, and I would suggest that the instant this goodwill is broken by the customer then it will be more difficult to get a free repair.

This so called class action has been going for a number of years and I would be curious about what progress has been made to conclude it?

Good luck and please remember the softly, softly approach MIGHT be the more fruitful.

Regards,
John the curious

Hope this may help, I had a E240, Import, 110,000 miles, MB service history upto the last 3 stamps and MB paid for all wings, doors, front spring mounts, front crossmember to be repaired/sprayed......just be nice to whoever you speak to and politely point out that you are aware of the known MB rust problems and that you will not take no for an answer. Don't use threats or words like litigation etc etc and everything should work out for you.

Keep the pressure up subtly by phoning on a weekly/2 weekly basis (keeping it friendly all the way) to find out whats going on and by putting everything in writing

Its unlikely that you will need new panels....the rust often looks hideous, but once its been cleaned off, the panels show very little in the way of damage......I've never seen any of the wheel arches on a W210 or CLK, W202 etc that have holed.....I've seen big crusty scabs, flaking paint etc etc, but once they have been shot blasted the metalwork is normally in surprisingly good shape.

Last edited:
Hope this may help, I had a E240, Import, 110,000 miles, MB service history upto the last 3 stamps and MB paid for all wings, doors, front spring mounts, front crossmember to be repaired/sprayed......just be nice to whoever you speak to and politely point out that you are aware of the known MB rust problems and that you will not take no for an answer. Don't use threats or words like litigation etc etc and everything should work out for you.
Hi Vlad,
Yours is one of the most sensible posts that I have read for a very, very long time on this subject.

I must confess that if given the chance I would always like replacement parts, but I take onboard your very valid points.

Well done and thanks for the sensible posting.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom