CLK 320 vs CL420

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
Hi all,

so ive seen a 1999 clk that isnt mint, but good and a good price that im considering hard..but then i stumbled on an ad for a cl420...HMMM

its older 96, and had 60 on the clock... My main worry is fuel consumption, anyone any idea of the difference in consumption?

Any other negatives of the CL??

Cheers

Jay

Don't know about the CL but my CLK320 returns around 26 MPG on average.

Mind you when I boot it, jeronnammoooooooooo :eek: :eek:

>> The Insurance premium mate.

The CLK320 is 18, what's the CL?

Gav.

same insurance group... I saw it and its got more to play with than toys r us.... Im just weighing up a newer car/vs older and fuel consumption - i had a clk 320 and the consumption on that was ok...

Jay

Hi Jay

From the Top Gear Magazine site:

CL420 1996

MPG urban 13
MPG extra-urban 25
MPG combined 19

Make of that what you will!

Excellent quandary to be in. I'm still at the "saving-up" stage, 3 years after buying my first (and last?) new car, hoping to trade up to a used MB next year. I started looking at the CLK230 but have virtually decided that an older SL320 is for me. Just have to clear the overdraft and persuade my lovely wife of the merits of my plan!

Still happy to receive any advice on ways to make buying and owning a £20k SL320 as painless as possible.

Derek

ok so i decided to go for the mint cl420 rather than the compromised clk...

Perfect, i love it, its huge, it just fits in my underground parking space, lucky my neighbour only has a mini!

Only thing, i know i shouldnt worry but.... The oil guage on all my cars has always kept at 3, but this one drops to 2 at idle (idles at just over 500rpm according to the guage)...Its just had a service, should i be worried? I know the owners manual says its usual, but ive only ever seen it drop on older engines...This has only done 64K...Is it just coz its such a big engine that idles low?

Cheers

Jay

yes will do this weekend, need some daylight!

Cheers
jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom