CLK 320 W208 Aircon and ENGINE FAN problem Solved

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bdman

Car
Mercedes CL 63 AMG W216
Hi guys - OK so a few weeks ago i realised the engine fan on my CLK 320 W208 began to run a few minutes after starting the car. The engine temp was normal between 85 - 90 (95 max) but the fan would come on and it sounded like a jet engine taking off. Most awful racket. It wouldn't stop either and was very embarrassing.

To add to my woes i realised the airconditioning control unit on the dashboard kept failing. The lighting would go out on all the dial and the heater fan would stop and start before failing completely.

I didn't think the two were connected.

Anyway - after a few occasions of the car getting completely steamed up and being unable to use the blower to clear the steam I decided to try and fix it myself before taking the car to a mechanic to get a new thermostat fixed and coolant flushed.

I prised open the aircon housing wooden cover using a slim flat screwdriver and then unscrewed the two housing screws that hold the unit in place.

Then I pulled out the unit and realised that the connecter that goes into the back of the unit was loose! I fitted it back in firmly and tried the aircon unit and heater and blower - all three were working perfectly!

Then I fitted everything back together and took the car for a drive - NO ENGINE FAN PROBLEM EITHER!!

I concluded that the engine fan was coming on because of the faulty connection with the air con so happy days and a quick easy fix!

I was going to rewire the whole car otherwise!!

Please post comments if anyone else has had similar problems!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom