CLK 320 W209 17 x 8J ET35 Wheels not fitting!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajayp

Car
Clk 320
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum so I apologise in advance if I make any mistakes..

I recently purchased some 17" x 8J ET35 alloy wheels for my W209 CLK320. The alloy wheel provider did provide me with M12 x 1.5B bolts and locking nuts.

Just bought some brand new 225/45/17 Michelin Primacy 3 Tyres, and fitted the front two without any issues.

However, the Rear wheels are not fitting and the tyre fitter said the bolts are "catching on the handbrake", therefore I need shorter bolts/spacers?

Is this information correct, if so, how can I calculate what length bolts I need to purchase?

Thank you very much in advance for your responses,

Ajayp

Last edited:
Bolts come in different lengths and sizes for mercs.
Wheels are not form clk I would assume? Probably bolts are from a different model. If clk weird they don't fit.
I would jump into first tyre shop, they should have bolts in stock, try one down in length I think 10.9 they are not sure - happy days
Other wise could use some spacers.
Good luck

The wheels are aftermarket wheels, not genuine mercedes wheels.

I have finally received some correspondence from the manufacturer who supplied the bolts. He said that the bolts supplied were 26mm in length and he will now send me some 22mm bolts.

Does that length sound correct? Hopefully that will sort the problem and I won't have to drive around with 17"s on the front and 16"s on the back!

Ajayp

22mm sounds awfully short to me

I think he is referring to the length of the thread pattern as opposed to the length of the bolt (excluding the head).

If they dont fit I am assuming I will have to use spacers?

The wheel manufacture has said that 3mm spacers should be more then enough with the exisiting bolts, but will send new bolts regardless. How would that affect the stability of the alloys at motorway speeds?

I have just got a none gen set of wheels for mine, before i get the tyres swaped over i will be trial fitting a new wheel front and back just to make sure all is well..

If they dont fit I am assuming I will have to use spacers?

The wheel manufacture has said that 3mm spacers should be more then enough with the exisiting bolts, but will send new bolts regardless. How would that affect the stability of the alloys at motorway speeds?

A 3mm spacer would not cause any issue, the only concern for me would be, generaly after market wheels sit out further to fill the arches, now if they do then you add spacers how far are the wheels gonna stick out..

I think he is referring to the length of the thread pattern as opposed to the length of the bolt (excluding the head).

22mm of thread is less than an inch , how thick is the wheel it is going through ?

I don't think i'd want my wheels held on with just a couple of turns of thread.

M12 x 1.5 Tapered bolts at 22mm thread length have fitted perfectly. The original mercedes bolts (which are noticably longer) stuck out of the original 16" alloys at the same length so in terms of length its correct.

Thanks for everyones help!

We need a pic with new wheels on the car then :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom