CLK 320CDI AC Condenser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ellmo

Car
CLK 320 CDI
Hi all,

have had my AC system diagnosed as:

A: leak in condenser
B: no Gas

Can someone guid me on whats what on replacemnt of the said unit?
its not realy worth the 400£ quoted to fix....

thanks

E

£100 condenser, £50 dryer, £60 Recharge. Relatively straightforward repair if you can swing a spanner.

yea im not bad, jsut something iv never done before...

Just treat it like you're doing a radiator change just with the added component of the receiver dryer, which is about the same as doing a fuel filter. Get someone out to do the recharge though as you may have lost oil and not all the top up cans have it. Plus they'll be able to check for leaks etc.

As long as you are 100% sure that it is the condenser if you are half tidy on the tools it's pretty straightforward, I have just done the same on the wife's Zafira (more room to work on than a MB) The issue I had was sourcing new 'o' rings for the A/C pipes , but that will probably not be an issue with a MB.

Put it back together and take it to a proper air con place to have it dried out , re gassed and leak tested. Oh , and replace the pollen/cabin filter at the same time .

Depending on how you go about the job it can throw up a couple of problems, mainly corrosion and access. If you pull the slam panel which is easier than taking the bumper off and then find the pipes are seized in the bottom of the condenser you may have a bit of a fight to get them out. I did mine that way and was lucky to find nothing seized.

The bumper off route is ideally a two man job to avoid any paint damage, but does give better access. I had to do this to change my headlamp units and had the use of a four post ramp with a second pair of hands. Should I have to do the job again, I would go for bumper off.

Sorry its taken ages to get back to this! job on for the weekend now guys, will let you know how it goes and try and get some pictures as well!

Thanks

E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom