CLK 500 (5.5) occasional oil burning smell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian_the_Snail

Car
CLK500 (5.5 litre)
Hi folks

Bit of an odd one but I occasionally get a smell of burning oil when going slowly or stationary. It seems to come through the car vents. However, the car doesn't seem to be burning oil in the first 700 miles since I collected it 2 weeks ago and the exhaust pipe is clean/ no soot.

The car is six years old and only covered 39,000 miles.

Could it be that it has been slightly over filled when last serviced (not many miles before I bought it) or is it something more sinister?

Thanks in advance

Brian_the_Snail

Last edited:
Is there any oil ... or any cleaning fluid they used the fell on the exhaust manifold... might take a while to clean and burn off...

I used to have a similar case but it was a loose breather valve and it was on my Saab.

Hi,
Have a close look at your rocker cover gaskets, not sure whether your engine is a 113 but they are quite common to leak, especially the smaller plates/covers on top of the main covers.

Thanks for the prompt responses. It's apparently an M273 engine. Bit of a novice here - is replacing the rocker cover gaskets an expensive job on these engine?

Andy - you could be right! Just looked at the engine and the nearside rocker cover is leaking onto the exhaust ports. Is this a big job?

B_T_S

UPDATE - Went to Milton Keynes Mercedes today and they looked at the problem.

Appears that when the car had been standing on the supplying garage forecourt (not Merc MK) before I bought it oil had leaked out of a joint at the back of the cam shaft cover. This oil was left to settle on the exhaust manifold.

Even after the supplying garage stopped the leak they hadn't cleaned all of the oil off. Hence the visual signs of oil and the smell in the cabin

All checked over and cleaned by Mercedes techs - charged only fifty-odd quid plus VAT.

They even debadged the car for me afterwards so that it now only says CLK ('500' removed) to make it into a sleeper :D

Good ol' Merc MK - very impressed.

B_T_S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom