CLK 500 (5.5 V8) how rare are these things ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilcharlton

Car
merc clk
I've finally decided after much soul searching to replace my old rusty CLK with a more modern CLK500 5.5. My thinking is 99% of the AMG performance but with 50% of the running costs.

I'm looking for a 500 with the full AMG kit in coupe form. Bit like this one:

Mercedes-Benz CLK500 5.0 7G-Tronic Sport##LOW MILEAGE+HIGH SPEC+AMG STYLING## | eBay

My question is how often do these things come up for sale with this sort of spec. ? Will I be waiting a long time ?

The one on Autotrader now doesn't have the kit and looks a bit boring with out it.

Cheers,

That's a 5 litre one with 306bhp

If you want a 5.5 with 370 ish bhp , you'll need to look for a facelift one.

The facelift CLS got the 5.5 v8

Pretty certain the CLK did too ? From 2007.

The CLK 500 388bhp 5461cc came in 2007, faster than the CLK 55 AMG 0-62.

Will the CLK500 (550) really be cheaper to run than a CLK55?

Probably cheer to buy than a CLK63, granted.

Will the CLK500 (550) really be cheaper to run than a CLK55?

Probably cheer to buy than a CLK63, granted.

The CLK55 AMG will cost more to service and slightly more thirsty but the CLK500 (388) will cost more to tax at £500 for 12 months.

It would definitely be easier to find a 55 amg. Don't they have improved suspension/brakes over the clk550?

It would definitely be easier to find a 55 amg. Don't they have improved suspension/brakes over the clk550?

My major worry with the CLK 55AMG is the AMG tax aka the running costs.
Looking at another post on the 55; forum members quoted from £400 to £3000 a year on maintenance think the average budget was around £1000.

The engine ( spark plugs ) suspension , brakes etc , all seem a little more expensive.

The newer AMGs do have some expensive replacement parts, but the CLK55 much less so. There is a mark up on service costs by some dealers, but that us just that, a mark up - the cost to them is the same as a CLK500 - so find a dealer or independent who understands that you understand that, and it needn't be expensive to run :thumb:

The CLK 500 on ebay you posted has been for sale for months when i was considering buying a 4 seat cab a few months back i saw that coupe it was up for £1500 less! The prices of the CLK especially the cabs have gone up a good 20% now its summer, and all the CLK 55 amgs seem to have gone up by about £2-4k :crazy: Im thinking i should of brought the mint CLK 55 AMG with 1 owner 72k FMBSH for £7.8k i viewed just to sell it on. I brought the neighbours garden instead...
If i was you i would wait 5months and save yourself a few grand.

So apart from the brakes , spark plugs , and more regular changing of fluids etc, in theory the CLK55 should not be much more in servicing costs than a 500 or standard CLK , providing it's been well looked after.. ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom