CLK 500 Exhaust query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

schmalex

Car
2004 CLK500
Hello folks,

I'm new here, so please be gentle!!

I currently run a 2004 CLK500, which quite frankly is an awesome piece of kit. However, it appears that both of the rear Cats have failed (they both rattle like crazy if you tap the exhaust), leaving me with the potential of a £1,500+ bill to fit new MB parts. Having done a little surfing round the web, it appears that the 2nd Cats can be cut out of system with no adverse effect on emissions etc.

Are there any exhaust guru's on here who may be able to confirm and advise what I need to do to repair this (is it a case of cutting out the rear Cats & welding a new pipe to bridge the gap, or is there a little more to it than that!!??!)

Last edited:
Those rear sections arent really proper cats, the main cats are near the engine. yes they can be cut out no problem... they are after the o2 sensors so wont cause any issues there.

As ^ and welcome to the forum

While you are at it, cut out the resonator as well as the rear cats. Car will sound awesome at full chat but will still be quiet the rest of the time..

Great, thanks!!!

Forgive me (I know sweet FA about engineering!). Is it really as simple as cutting out the two rear cats and welding a straight piece of pipe in their place?

While I'm at it, cutting out the resonator sounds interesting as well (more noise at full chat is always welcome, as my only complaint about the car is it doesn't sound V8ish enough at full chat) - is this a simple job?!?!?

Great, thanks!!!

Forgive me (I know sweet FA about engineering!). Is it really as simple as cutting out the two rear cats and welding a straight piece of pipe in their place?

While I'm at it, cutting out the resonator sounds interesting as well (more noise at full chat is always welcome, as my only complaint about the car is it doesn't sound V8ish enough at full chat) - is this a simple job?!?!?

Yes all dead simple, cut out and weld in a section of new pipe. I paid to have my resonator replaced and also an AMG back box fitted and it was cheap as chips..

you could even open the old cats up empty the contents and weld back up if you prefer..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom