CLK 500 service question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazM

Car
CLK 500 Convertible
Hi All
i am on the verge of purchasing one of these and have a question. its due its 50,000 mile service. does anyone know what this involves?
also any owners on here with any advice on what to look out for
thanks
Gareth

If they haven't been done, 16 new plugs!

And a lot of high quality synthetic oil.

The last service on my CLK500 cost in the region of about £600, which was back in 2008. I don't know what the prices are today, but why don't you check out the 'myservice' tab of the Mercedes Benz website. You enter your vehicle details, and it will give you a rough price based on the mileage and age.

How old is it? is it the M273 5.5Ltr engine? If it is, then it's "only" 8 plugs.
But it might be due a gearbox oil change, so around £600-700 at an independant.

Thanks for your replies and sorry for the delayed response i bought the car on Friday and have been out enjoying some open top motoring!
the car is 2003 - not sure what that means spark plug wise - was a impulse purchase so have a lot of research to do!
No doubt lots of questions to follow but here is the first!
when i engage reverse the mirrors dont lower - i'm suer ive tried this with the mirror set at both driver and passenger side - any ideas?
thanks

Assuming it has the electric memory seats the dipping mirror is enabled from the convenience menu. it will be explained in the handbook as it involves a few steps. In my experience its very hit and miss.

when i engage reverse the mirrors dont lower - i'm suer ive tried this with the mirror set at both driver and passenger side - any ideas?
thanks

If I remember correctly you can change this mirror setup in setup menu on the dash. Go through it, it should be there I think.

If I remember correctly you can change this mirror setup in setup menu on the dash. Go through it, it should be there I think.

Thanks - i need to get the manual out and have a good read!
very impressed so far with the car

Do you have the Avantgarde or the Elegance? To be honest, I preferred the Elegance as I like the look of wood, and I have wood, or veneer, in my current car.

If the car is 2003, then it will be the 5.0 litre, not the 5.5 litre, which was introduced in 2007.

(According to wikipedia, the CLK500 became the CLK550 when the engine size was increased, yet I seem to remember the 5.5 litre was still called the CLK500 in the UK. Can anyone confirm this?)

From my days driving a CLK500, I remember it was an extremely smooth ride. This is nice on long journeys, but if you prefer a spirited ride through bendy back roads, you might find the ride a bit too soft.

Hi Fox
It's the avantgarde model. I'm not looking for spirited back road driving bit will be used on longer journeys on mainly A roads. Back in the day I had an original 320 clk cab which was an elegance so know what you mean. I'm pleased with the interior partialcularly the condition of the interior. It's done 55k miles. I've order a smart top roof remote control. Has anyone installed one? Thanks

.... I've order a smart top roof remote control. Has anyone installed one? Thanks

Is it the reinhold engineering module? If it is, then yes, it's fairly simple. it goes in the driver's side sill. the CAN-BUS distribution socket thing is kind of fiddly to unlock, but other than that, pretty straight forward.

Is it the reinhold engineering module? If it is, then yes, it's fairly simple. it goes in the driver's side sill. the CAN-BUS distribution socket thing is kind of fiddly to unlock, but other than that, pretty straight forward.

thanks - its the SmartTop (mods4cars) version so not sure its the same

The smarttop is a cracking piece of kit. Doesn't just do the top but quite a few 'musthaves' such as chirp on lock, foglights as drls etc. also you set everything from the speedo display
it looks really easy to fit - I SO need one.

Ah, no. Not the same as mine - I paid somewhat less! lol
Shame they don't give you the instructions before you buy to give you a clue how to fit it :(
This is mine:
HERE

The smarttop is a cracking piece of kit. Doesn't just do the top but quite a few 'musthaves' such as chirp on lock, foglights as drls etc. also you set everything from the speedo display
it looks really easy to fit - I SO need one.

sorry for the ignorance - what are drls?
thanks

Ah, no. Not the same as mine - I paid somewhat less! lol
Shame they don't give you the instructions before you buy to give you a clue how to fit it :(
This is mine:
HERE

they look to be based on the same idea from what i can see. probably not much use over winter but what the hell!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom