CLK 55 - Jerky and hesitant.. Slight smell of coolant.

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Mobb, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Mobb

Mobb Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK55 AMG - E92 M3
    This only occurs when I've been driving the car for a good few hours in traffic..

A few hours 2+ - traffic = stop start city driving. Also happens at idle (leave a friend in the car and run into a shop)

This has been going on for a few months now.. The car is perfect other than this.
    The car does this 60% of the time that I'm driving it in the above conditions, I'll be driving it on A roads for 30 mins then get to a town and be in stop start traffic. Whilst I'm on the Aroads and any other long roads that don't involve town driving the car will happily sit at 80-85 on the temp gauge, no problems at all. When I get into a stop start or town situation after 10 or so minutes the fans will kick in, a slight smell of coolant that's strong enough to smell inside the car with the windows half open. Following this the car judders, shakes and is generally very rough this usually lasts a few minutes and is followed by jerkiness when trying to pull away and hesitance.

The car never dies.. Idle never drops past 700 or so and its perfect once cooler and out of the traffic.. ( the temp only ever goes as high as 90)

The jerkiness and hesitance is like the car wants to go but quickly decides its not going to and then it is.. If that makes sense.

Anyone care to diagnose what's wrong with my baby?

1 person likes this.
  2. tasn1

tasn1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W208 CLK55 AMG
    Oh no please...why cant there be good news in this forum??? Ok no need to panic, is there any leaks under the car for a start?

3. OP
    OP
    Mobb

Car:
    CLK55 AMG - E92 M3
    Good news is I've had the car for near on a year and it's never.. Ever let me down. I've put 10k on it since I brought it.. Ohh and it gets new wheels and tyres in a few weeks. :D

Nope, no leaks.. It only happens when I'm sat in traffic.. Maybe the cars just getting a little to warm? Crack somewhere in the coolant tank?

4. tasn1

Car:
    W208 CLK55 AMG
    Mobb that's reassuring! In my S type JAG I had a similar problem, it was a cracked coolant tank. But I'm not wise in the ways of the Benzes...

5. OP
    OP
    Mobb

Car:
    CLK55 AMG - E92 M3
    I assume that's what it is.. It's due an A service now anyway so I'll get it checked out..

Unless anyone else knows what's wrong? ATF fluid to blame for the jerkiness?

6. m2287

m2287 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Bentley Continental GT
    is it like you are in a manual....still but with the handbrake up and then letting the clutch up in 1st so the car starts to go but almost stalls because the handbrake is on!??

7. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Does sound as if you are getting coolant sprayed onto the ignition HT somehow when the engine gets hot. Could be a leak somewhere or perhaps a faulty pressure cap on the coolant reservoir blowing off when the pressure gets high?

8. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    GL63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    If you can definitely smell coolant, then you must have a leak - is the level droppiing?

Water pump is worth a look IMHO.

9. OP
    OP
    Mobb

Car:
    CLK55 AMG - E92 M3
    Yep.. And then it's all magically fine again.

To put it easier, it's like I go to move off and the car moves forward, chokes and then carrys on..

At idle in the same situation the car just shakes around abit and then is perfectly fine.

There is no leaks anywhere except from the rear diff.. A spot of fluid every now and then.. normal??

I can't smell coolant every single time this happens, just every little while.. Say 5 out of 10 times.

There is no on board check for coolant except from when it get way to low, correct?

I haven't checked the coolant level, but will do and will see over a few days if it's using alot of it..

Is the water pump something that is easily accessed? Can i check this myself or is it best to have mercedes or an Indy do this?

10. tasn1

Car:
    W208 CLK55 AMG
    You guys are getting me nervous...;(

11. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    GL63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    If it's leaking, in that you can smell coolant, the level will eventually drop. When it's lost enough for the level sensor to read a low level, you'll get a message come up on the cluster - but that could take ages if it's a very minor leak (?)

You can see the water pump at the front of the engine - the viscous fan is attached to it. If you can smell coolant whilst driving any leaks should be obvious if you look in this area IMHO. See if it runs smoothly with the engine running too, check for play (wobbling) in the bearings which eventually cause it to leak through the shaft seal.

It's a bit of a fiddly job on the V8 in the CLK due to limited access, but nothing too drastic. But this is of course speculative until you know what the problem is and where the coolant is leaking from.

12. OP
    OP
    Mobb

Car:
    CLK55 AMG - E92 M3
    It doesn't seem like there's much wrong.. Just the car choking abit in traffic.. Will have it looked at when it goes in for it's A service.. Is coolant something they check in the A service??

@tasn1 : where's those pics ?? ;)

EDIT : just seen your profile.. :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  13. tasn1

Car:
    W208 CLK55 AMG
    I have just started my album Mobb! Have a look!!!

14. m2287

m2287 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Bentley Continental GT
    my clk 200 did the jerky thing once the other day when I was sat in traffic, hasnt done it since...