CLK 55 w209 advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robert83

Car
CLK
Hi, newbie here who would appreciate some advice please.

After looking at a few different v8 cars, I have decided I now want a CLK 55 w209.

I have viewed a couple but they both seem to have the same issue; where the oil filler cap is, there is oil on the side of the engine in this area, the sellers think this is from the garage being clumsy when refilling the oil after a service, or is this a common place for leaks?
Also, is it normal for a slight tappet sound with the engine on tick over and the bonnet up, and also what sounds like a slight 'hum' from the belts/pulleys?

Cheers, Rob

Hi Rob

I just went out and started mine up. No tappety noise at all. There is a whine on rev, but this is normal, at least with mine and I have owned her for seven years.

The oil can be awkward to fill without a funnel, so it may be possible to spill some. I have not noticed any excess oil in this area. Hope this helps.

What is the mileage/service history on the cars your are viewing?

D

My old CLK55 whined also, but didn't have a tappet sound. It never required a drop of oil between service intervals either

The oil leaking from the cam cover gaskets is common, easy/cheap job to have done.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

D - I am looking at lower mileage ones with history, (around 60 thousand, but one had done 85) the ones I viewed had the engine oil changed every 2 years or before 10,000 miles, I would have thought it should be yearly regardless though?
Also gearbox oil had not been changed, not sure of the frequency of this, after reading on this forum it sounds like it should have been done though!

Cheers, Rob

Mercedes started by saying that the gearbox fluid didn't need to be changed, then decided that something like 40k miles might be a more sensible limit (I could have that figure slightly wrong). - I don't have the service schedule to hand.

The oil change intervals are quite long if you're using MB approved synthetic oil.

Mercedes only moved to annual servicing in 2007.

Before then, Assyst Plus would allow a maximum of 2 years for 229.5 grade oil being mileage and driving condition dependent.

Thanks, that clears that up then. Glad I joined this forum, quick and helpful replies, cheers everyone!

Mercedes only moved to annual servicing in 2007.

Before then, Assyst Plus would allow a maximum of 2 years for 229.5 grade oil being mileage and driving condition dependent.
Yes, I've noticed it does refine the time (and/or distance) to next service depending on how much driving you've done, and how spirited that driving was. - Unless you're really cooking the oil with high temperatures on the track (for example) there's no reason it shouldn't last 24 months. Modern lubricants have progressed over the years.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

D - I am looking at lower mileage ones with history, (around 60 thousand, but one had done 85) the ones I viewed had the engine oil changed every 2 years or before 10,000 miles, I would have thought it should be yearly regardless though?
Also gearbox oil had not been changed, not sure of the frequency of this, after reading on this forum it sounds like it should have been done though!

Cheers, Rob

These engines will do huge miles, so long as servicing is carried out as per the Assyst Plus. In some ways a low mileage car would be more of a concern, as it may have been standing for long periods. These cars like to be used on a regular basis.

ATF change is a must and it is noticeable if it hasn't been done. Gear change is slow and jerky. Perversely the best way to establish this, is to drive the car in comfort, as it will feel lazy.

D

To be fair, the car that had done 85,000 with no gearbox oil change didn't feel as 'sharp' as one which had this done.

Cheers again, onwards with my search!

Robert83 if your still looking for a w209 clk55 i might have what your looking for. Pm me for more details

Nic55, yes I'm still looking, could you message me details please because the forum says:
I will not be able to use the private message facility or reply/post to classified threads unless I have a 30 post count.
Thanks

Sorry can't do what I intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom