clk 5th gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spike60

Car
500 SEC, E320 cdi estate, BMW Z3 2.8, Porsche 944 2.7
Sorry if it's been covered before but I'm new here so excuse me etc. I've just got a 2000 W208 CLK 320 190,000k and after driving it for about a hour in mixed traffic conditions it suddenly changed down a gear while cruising at about 55mph, and stayed down until I fiddled with W/S switch. It didn't do it again. It is quite possible it was pilot error as never driven one before, pitch dark, didn't bother looking at anything before set off etc but is this regular problem? I'd like to know sooner rather than later if so. Hopefully finger trouble (mine)! Thanks for any advice or experiences.

Sorry if it's been covered before but I'm new here so excuse me etc. I've just got a 2000 W208 CLK 320 190,000k and after driving it for about a hour in mixed traffic conditions it suddenly changed down a gear while cruising at about 55mph, and stayed down until I fiddled with W/S switch. It didn't do it again. It is quite possible it was pilot error as never driven one before, pitch dark, didn't bother looking at anything before set off etc but is this regular problem? I'd like to know sooner rather than later if so. Hopefully finger trouble (mine)! Thanks for any advice or experiences.

Hi,sounds like you accidentally knocked the gear lever which put the car in manual mode & dropped it down a gear(also known as tip function,by knocking the gear lever left/right you can change gears up/down manually),have a good read of the owners manual to familiarize yourself with your new car;)

Hi,sounds like you accidentally knocked the gear lever which put the car in manual mode & dropped it down a gear(also known as tip function,by knocking the gear lever left/right you can change gears up/down manually),have a good read of the owners manual to familiarize yourself with your new car;)
That's the kind of answer I like, I can live with it being my fault!:)

If the wife was in the car at the time i would have blamed her!:eek::D
I was alone so have to think of another one! As I said, I'll be happy if that's it. Buying high mileage cars, especially one's I know nowt about always a bit traumatic. It'll be a day or two before I see if it was good idea, I suspect I'll be asking some more dumb questions, the only other M-B out of 30+ vehicles I've had was dumper of a van, a 210.

Now I'm not 50 miles from home, in the dark, peeing rain I'll go out and have a play about, hopefully the error of my ways will be clear! Thanks.

Been out with car and 2 things are clear, it was 3rd gear it was in and I didn't manually select it. When in tiptronic it displays the gear selected and was in D last night. Don't know if relevant but cruise not working.

Been out with car and 2 things are clear, it was 3rd gear it was in and I didn't manually select it. When in tiptronic it displays the gear selected and was in D last night. Don't know if relevant but cruise not working.

That being the case then somethings not right,best to get a good independant garage with star diagnostics to hook the car up & see what fault codes show up.

That being the case then somethings not right,best to get a good independant garage with star diagnostics to hook the car up & see what fault codes show up.
Does it have to be star diagnostics? I have access to a Snap On Solus scanner, I'm not an expert but can pull and clear codes.

Does it have to be star diagnostics? I have access to a Snap On Solus scanner, I'm not an expert but can pull and clear codes.

As far as i'm aware it has to be star although i stand to be corrected?

Snap on solus pro or snap on Verdict will do the job fine, doesn't have to be STAR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom