CLK - a pain in the..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stu

Car
C200 Sport Petrol W205
Back. MY otherwise well specified CLK270 lacks an adjustable lumbar support on either the drivers electric or passengers manual seats. Longer trips and the onset of crumblyness means we need some support. A quick search on the internet and a visit to the local car accessory & burger bar shop reveal dozens of possible add on solutions. A buy & try option is not the most appealing to me, so I wondered if anyone had any recommendations. Changing the car or fitting a new seat from a Volvo are not really what I have in mind though and I do appreciate that all backs are different. We are of average hight if that matters.

Was it ever an option on the 209 CLK ? could you retrofit if you could get a parts list from a suitably equipped car ?

I think it was never an option. Certainly there is no reference to it in my Manual. Thanks for the (nice) thought though.

Buy a pair of small cushions to match the interior. Cheap and effective, I did this for my w210 a few years ago as it used to cause me serious back pain on longer trips.

My July 2003 209 has lumbar support ...

My W203 has it too - but it's far too high up and hardly moves out at anyway. I use a small folded up towel near the base of my back.

I've never had to do this in any other car - my BMW driving friends are really impressed. Not.

Surely easier to go and see a seat trimmer and get him to fit an inflatable one.

From the russian site 230 looks like the kiddy you need, 260 is an inflatable side bolster.

Im sure you used to be able to get aftermarket ones which had a little black bulb to inflate the lumbar pad.
B91060000242.1114.gif

Lynall

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice chaps.
Could MB have added this feature between February 2003 when mine was built and July when Peters was built? Mine is an elegance with cloth electric heated seats.
Lynall's diagram is intriguing, but where do the 4 leads go? Is there a corresponding switch?

The simple approach would be a blow up cushion. Anyone got one of this specifically for a car?

Would it be an AMG option ?

Does Peters 55 have AMG seats ?

Putting in a MB system is tempting, but with backs you only know if it works after a long drive or two, and unless I borrow a car so equipped, I cannot tell if the results would actually work for me and putting an air pump in etc. is not the cheapest option. So I went to Halfords, squandered £25 on a lumbar support Halfords High Density Back Support from Halfords Price £24.99
and went to France for the night. It certainly made a big difference. Maybe I'll try their inflatable one or even the massage one each a reasonable £33.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom