clk a208 - Double din touch screen sat nav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edtzxr

Car
clk320 a208
Hi all another quick share.

Fitted one of these units into my 1999 clk pretty good fit with a fitting kit i found on google.

A-Sure® Double 2 Din GPS Universal Car HD DVD Player SAT NAVI TMC Bluetooth MP3 | eBay

currently priced at £189 it is cheap china stuff but all works perfectly and will support steering wheel controls.

Works perfectly with my iphone 5c too for calls and music

Sat nav needed a software change that the directed me to after i bought it in order to get the tmc function working.

I will see if i can get some finished pics up later

Ed

Looks a good fit - well done.:thumb:

I had an A-sure unit fitted in my Passat for 3 1/2 years and performed well enough considering cost. I was never that happy with the Graphical interface and the implementation of the RDS was useless.

However, as I say everything else worked fine.

I hope you have many enjoyable years with both the car and the radio unit.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have had no problems with the RDS and the TMC works really well with the Igo nav software so far I have been really impressed its as far better unit than the one i had factory fitted in my my57 Mondeo and......... Full post code search lol

Ed

Glad to hear they have made good progress over the last 4 years or so.

Steve

Looks great.

After paying £480 for a Pioneer unit with CarPlay I feel like I could have saved myself a fair amount!

Install looks very clean - did you need any adaptors? Fascia? ISO? Aerial? Planning to fit the unit myself tomorrow.

WIth this unit I had to buy the fitting cage and the black surround I found that on google and I think I got it from amazon. No adaptors needed and I have mounter the sat nav ariel on the dash in the centre. I dont have steering wheel controls on my car.

Just take your time cutting out the centre divider to make the space to fit double din other than that it was a very easy install.

Also I found the auto night mode on the stereo only kicks in wwhen i have the dash lights about half brightness as a minimum i think it needs the voltage to be high enough to switch over. i.e. dash too dim = low voltage to the bulbs and to the illumination wire on the head unit. yours being expensive may not have the asme problem.

Addition to my head unit.

Just fitted a reversing camera to it, works a treat i ran an extra wire to the head unit with the camera feed from the reversing light so it now mutes the sound and switches to the reversing camera as soon as i select reverse. picture quality is fine for what i need but its not a HD image and the bonus was its only £18.

170° HD Car Rear View Reverse Camera Europe License Plate Parking Night Vision | eBay.

:)

Looks good!

How did you route the wires to the headunit?

Looks good!

How did you route the wires to the headunit?

I presume you are referring to the reversing cam?

It was quite a faf to be honest but I took the wires through the flex conduit on the boot lid using a fish tape then passed through the boot bulkhead following existing wiring loom, under the seat that pulls out really easy, then I routed them through the hidden trunking that runs along the drivers side of the car under the sill scuff plate, under the carpet in a groove near the front of the seat into the centre console.

Hope this helps :)

I presume you are referring to the reversing cam?

It was quite a faf to be honest but I took the wires through the flex conduit on the boot lid using a fish tape then passed through the boot bulkhead following existing wiring loom, under the seat that pulls out really easy, then I routed them through the hidden trunking that runs along the drivers side of the car under the sill scuff plate, under the carpet in a groove near the front of the seat into the centre console.

Hope this helps :)

Thats almost exactly the path I run my cables through :) like you, I took power from the reverse lights so they only get powered when in reverse and then the HU auto swaps the screen to av1 input.

very neat looking reversing camera, very discreet and with a suitable sticker might fool people into thinking you have rear facing dashcam or could it also function as a rear dashcam?

very neat looking reversing camera, very discreet and with a suitable sticker might fool people into thinking you have rear facing dashcam or could it also function as a rear dashcam?

With the head unit I have I think you could configure it to record as a dash cam but I would need to split the camera feed as its plugged into a dedicated reversing camera port at the moment.
I would need go give it a permanent live (currently fed from the reversing lights). which would then mean I would need some switch or similar to tell it when I wanted it to switch to reversing cam display.

I have actually bought a dash cam but so far have decided not to fit it as i'm not sure I like the idea or not (Do I always drive within the Law? do I want a constant recording of MY driving? lol)

With the head unit I have I think you could configure it to record as a dash cam but I would need to split the camera feed as its plugged into a dedicated reversing camera port at the moment.
I would need go give it a permanent live (currently fed from the reversing lights). which would then mean I would need some switch or similar to tell it when I wanted it to switch to reversing cam display.

I have actually bought a dash cam but so far have decided not to fit it as i'm not sure I like the idea or not (Do I always drive within the Law? do I want a constant recording of MY driving? lol)

Dashcams are mainly not about your driving more about the other idiots out there. As we drive a merc we are all perfect drivers anyway............................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom