CLK A209 Convertible - Roof mechanism

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grotbag1

Car
2015 C200 Estate Sport Premium Plus AND 2005 CLK 200K Convertible Avantgarde
Small problem with the roof mechanism.
When opening roof all works fine until the last bit when the metal cover is supposed to come down. It stops and warns the boot cover is up. I then have to put the roof back up, open the boot and pull the boot cover forward a fraction. The roof will then open.
Clearly the problem is the cover in the boot is not locking in the forward/down position.
Does anyone know where the sensor or catch is that may need adjusting?

hope this makes sense!!!

I can't recall exactly where it is but pretty sure it is on one side around the mechanism of the folding down boot cover. I seem to think the actual switch is on the right, inside the boot. This is all from hazy memory as mine was getting stuck a couple of years ago. I googled for the switch but then ascertained that there was a bit of old rubbish stuck in the mechanism which was preventing it lowering fully. Once removed, all was OK.

Seeing as your roof almost lowers fully, I would guess that your boot separator is getting moved right at the end of the fold sequence - I assume it gets stuck at the same point each time? Get someone to lower the roof while you watch what is going on in the back. I reckon a bit of trim (or rubbish) is in there and is just pushing on the separator enough to trigger the switch. Hopefully you will be able to see the separator moving at the point when it gets stuck and from that you can work out what is moving the separator.

Good luck!

It's worth giving every joint/moving part including the locating pins at the front, and the tongues at the rear, a good clean and wipe down with WD40, and then putting some white lithium grease on the moving and mating parts.
The original grease can go 'sticky' and give symptoms like yours.

Having recently looked at mine, I can tell you that the microswitch is on the left hand side when standing at the boot looking in. there is a catch and if you feel inside it you can feel the switch.

So it sounds like the plastic pin at the side of the cover is not engaging properly.

Mine is currently held depressed by a cable tie, I am taking it in next tuesday to be fixed.

Steve

Having recently looked at mine, I can tell you that the microswitch is on the left hand side when standing at the boot looking in. there is a catch and if you feel inside it you can feel the switch.

So it sounds like the plastic pin at the side of the cover is not engaging properly.

Mine is currently held depressed by a cable tie, I am taking it in next tuesday to be fixed.

Steve

I also used a cable tie.
It appears that the boot cover pushes against the switch but does not click in place so when the car moves it comes off the switch slightly deactivating it.
The cable tie is not ideal as I must always remember to leave the car with the cover closed otherwise i'm going to mess up the mechanism!!

Chaged both my struts recently as above esy job and worht doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom