CLK alloys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noroof2003CLK

Car
2003 CLK320/ 2007 S320L
I am considering what is probably a heresy, which is to reduce the wheel size on my 2003 CLK from 18" to 17" to improve the ride, which on the ploughed fields that pass for roads around here at the moment, can be a little on the abrupt side. Point is I haven't got the money to just buy new ones without recouping some of the outlay by selling the existing wheels, which are 18" flat face AMG, in need of some love, especially around the rims.I have been quotes £55 per wheel to refurbish and paint them in the colour of my choice, but the ride is making me think twice. What would these be worth as is? I have seen a badly damaged one on EBay for £90, and a set worse than mine sold for £350, so I'm not sure.

I am considering what is probably a heresy, which is to reduce the wheel size on my 2003 CLK from 18" to 17" to improve the ride, which on the ploughed fields that pass for roads around here at the moment, can be a little on the abrupt side. Point is I haven't got the money to just buy new ones without recouping some of the outlay by selling the existing wheels, which are 18" flat face AMG, in need of some love, especially around the rims.I have been quotes £55 per wheel to refurbish and paint them in the colour of my choice, but the ride is making me think twice. What would these be worth as is? I have seen a badly damaged one on EBay for £90, and a set worse than mine sold for £350, so I'm not sure.

What tyres will you be giving them away with (it any), and did the other ones on eBay come with (good) tyres?

Assuming no tyres all around, then looking at the figures you posted, the asking price on eBay for a set in worse condition than yours is £350-360? A

So advertise them for £400 and reduce the price as needed. Or get them professionally refurbished and advertise them for £750, then reduce the price if they don't sell?

There may be another way to look at your problem. Not sure going down to 17s will give you a better ride and you may have issues with brake disc clearance.
Think about different tyres and pressures. Go and talk to your local and respected tyre shop for advice.

Good move , my CLK is on 17’s in the summer with Nexens/Uniroyal Rainsports on . At the moment it’s on 16” steels with all Pirelli all season tyres on , which are great for these damaged roads .

I changes from 17 to 16 inch, not much difference in ride. Tyres last longer and are around 30% cheaper and less likely to aqua plane
205 X 16 front tyres were 225 X 17. For every day driving no difference in road holding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom