CLK Auto dimming RVM with Ambient lighting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordlee

Car
A207 E350 CDI Brabus D6
I am thinking of this for my next mod to finish the cabin after the chrome work went in over the weekend. Miss the ambient lighting of some of my previous cars.
Will this work for the CLK - I think it should but just thought i'd see if anyone has currently doen this as yet?

"I have only Identified the Auto dimming R.V.M. to work on the later W210's and W202's at the moment (though I do have a Pt. No. for the mirror I cannot confirm it is correct as yet), i.e. If your vehicles has,nt got the red and green L.E.D.'s it will require Auto dimming R.V.M. Pt. No. A 208 810 02 17 (this number superseded the orginal Pt. No. B6 6 81 8609), If buying new from MB please ensure they order the right colour to match your trim I also sourced this from the Mercman (It was brand new still in the box).
All that is involved in fitting is to remove the existing R.V.M., remove the overhead console, replace and fit new R.V.M., route cable from new mirror to overhead console and plug in, replace overhead console, simple as that."

update - i have found a fair few auto dimming ones that are fine but am having trouble locating one with the ambient lighting attached. If there is power going to the auto dimming then maybe I could use that power and wire in a light? As long as the power is switchable it should be fine. I would still rarther get the unit with it built in. Anyone know a part code or a website that I could potentialy find the part code from???

I've never seen one for a 208 with ambient lighting ...

I've got an auto dimming one for my car in the garage that i've nver got round to fitting , i'll have a look for the part number when i get in.

The W210 has the ambient lighting I believe - they appear to have the same fitment of mirror though so I reckon a swap out could be done fairly easily. Scrapyard on Saturday I reckon.

I have the one with the ambient lighting in my W202 along with the OEM mic and can confirm its a plug and play fitment no additional wires to install (Apart from the mic if you use it). It is also switched with the cars ignition too. You can also retrofit the rest of the ambient light package which contains the front under dah puddle lights and under front seats for the rear.

Good man. Thats the sort of challenge I like. Front footwell lights are a must. Does yours have door handle illumination?

Good man. Thats the sort of challenge I like. Front footwell lights are a must. Does yours have door handle illumination?

The W202 was never officially available with the ambient light package but it was available as a option for the facelift W210's & W208's. The door handle illumination is also part of the ambient lights package forgot to mention it.

I have part numbers for many of the looms, light fittings etc if you are interested in retrofitting and you can retrofit them to pretty much any model.

Last edited:
Yes please.

Same as!

Im well impressed with my Dad's W211s lighting.

I was running round in a W212 E250 recently and the ambient lighting was just lovely.

I have the one with the ambient lighting in my W202 along with the OEM mic and can confirm its a plug and play fitment no additional wires to install (Apart from the mic if you use it). It is also switched with the cars ignition too. You can also retrofit the rest of the ambient light package which contains the front under dah puddle lights and under front seats for the rear.

So is there an existing loom ready to wire the footwell lights into or is that something I should look to buy? Could it be taken out of a W210 with the ambient package?

So is there an existing loom ready to wire the footwell lights into or is that something I should look to buy? Could it be taken out of a W210 with the ambient package?

No reason why not, the W202, 208 and 210 share many parts.

However the rest of us mod hungry members will be needing part numbers to source them from the stealer if needs be. :devil:

Update - went to scrapyard today and got the ambient lib rvm. £10 with an AMG pedal set. Result. The mirror was indeed plug and play. I am well happy with both and am waiting for it to get dark so I can road test the mirror! It is an LED on the bottom of my one. Came from a 2001 W210 which had the illuminated handles etc. couldn't find the footwell lights though. Any ideas where they are?

Sorry for the delay in getting the part numbers but here they are:

Front footwell harness - A2104407105 x1
Front footwell lights - A2208201101 x2

Rear footwell harness - A2105403633 x1
Reat footwell lights - A2108203801 x2

Just need a confirmation on the rear harness may have been superceeded or discontinued.

ANyone know where the footwell lights are situated? Also could I nab the loom from a facelift W210?

ANyone know where the footwell lights are situated? Also could I nab the loom from a facelift W210?

The front ones are fitted to the bottom of the plastic coverings in the driver and passenger footwell. The rear ones are fitted in the bottom of the backing of the front seats. With enough patience I suppose you could extract all the looms and fittings however it would take a while to get the loom out in one piece as its clipped and more than likely taped up with the rest of the cars wiring.

Funny this thread coming up , i was wondering how i could fit in some ambient lighting in. The w202 cabin is really dark at night time.

I was thinking of modifying the overhead light clusters and recessing some LED's to point towards the centre console.

Funny this thread coming up , i was wondering how i could fit in some ambient lighting in. The w202 cabin is really dark at night time.

I was thinking of modifying the overhead light clusters and recessing some LED's to point towards the centre console.

I've thought about that for our W203. Although the mirror swap would be easier, finding one second hand with the ambient light and microphone (for the phone) would probably be trickier.

I would just do what I did and find a suitable W210 donor and go for the plug n play option. Cheap and very effective at making the cabin less gloomy at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom