CLK ball joint covers replaceable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikey1984

Car
CLK220 CDi W209
Hi, does anyone know if you can replace the ball joint dust covers on a CLK 2005? Seems an easier fix than replacing the whole arm as the joint is ok, any advice would be great, thanks

I think the rubber dust covers are held in place with wire clips, whether you can buy them separately is another matter.
If the dust cover has split it may have allowed grease to get out and dirt/water to get in, are you sure the balljoint is good? Might be very loose when you remove it to try and change the dust boot, maybe worth replacing in the long run...

The MOT tester said the ball joints are fine it’s just the covers but they look integrated

it will be alot less hassle to just replace the arm , cost about £50 and the arm will be good for 80k miles. or buy a 2nd hand arm , strip off the rubber boot and swap it over. = faff on !!

If standard ball joint you can get covers. The spring clip is very difficult to replace, I used a small tie rap. This worked very well on an old BMW E23 I use to own

I bought generic BJ covers from Ebay.
The new spring clip was rubbish, so I used an original one off a spare part.

it will be alot less hassle to just replace the arm , cost about £50 and the arm will be good for 80k miles.
This. - I know it's seems incredibly wasteful when it's only the dust covers, but the fact they've spit means they're getting on and whilst the ball joints might currently be OK they may not be that far behind the boots.
Replace the lot and have peace of mind that your suspension components are new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom