CLK buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mickl

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK280 W209
hi guys

having gone to the Beemer dark side for a little while looking to get back to Merc ownership with a cheap second 'fun' car.

Been looking at the W209 CLK and trying to decide on a 270CDI, 320CDI or 320 petrol.

What's peoples views? I'd be doing about 6000 miles a year in it and not looking to spend loads. Would like a petrol but debating if the price saving is worth the fuel economy trade off.

Am I correct in that the facelift was in the 2004 (04 reg) year?

When was the Valeo radiator issue sorted out? Did they affect all models and engines? Do all facelift cars have this resolved?

Mercedes-Benz CLK 2.7 CLK270 CDI Avantgarde 2dr Facelift car which I like, shame it doesn't have parktronic though.

Mercedes-Benz CLK 3.2 CLK320 Avantgarde 2dr nice low miles but will this possibly be affected by the Valeo issue?

Last edited:
trying to decide on a 270CDI, 320CDI or 320 petrol.

What's peoples views? I'd be doing about 6000 miles a year in it .......

Am I correct in that the facelift was in the 2004 (04 reg) year?

When was the Valeo radiator issue sorted out? Did they affect all models and engines? Do all facelift cars have this resolved?

Petrol at that mileage.

54 Reg for face-lifted Interior model.

Valeo issue was until Sept 2003, so 2004 onwards should be clear.
I think the numbers affected would have been really small, and you don't hear from all the owners that never had the issue.

I'd like a facelift 320/350 petrol but don't think my budget will stretch to that unless it's high miles.

BTW are there any know issues with the 350 petrol engine?

Hi, I would go for the petrol 320, being a bit biased, but really good car's.
The CLK 350 has a M272 engine which can throw up some timing chain, and timing sprocket problems, look for a thread regarding 272 engines.

I had a 54 CLK 270 from new. Nice smooth engine with tiptronic automatic gearbox. Nice car all round.

looks like I'm going to lean towards a 320 petrol. Going to look for a 2004 car at minimum if I can't find a facelift one at the price.

I had a 54 CLK 270 from new. Nice smooth engine with tiptronic automatic gearbox. Nice car all round.

270 smooth??? No - rough as an old dog compared to v6 petrol - I've had both!

+1 for the 320 petrol, not long had mine, but it is a joy to drive.

Another vote for the 320 petrol. One of the most relliable engines according to my indie, smooth, tractable, powerful and, on a run, quite respectable fuel consumption.

The 270 is also very good once on the move but a rough old tractor sound at idle, go for refinement in this case :)

The 320 petrol is an absolute peach.
Great fuel consumption too.

Ted said:
The 320 petrol is an absolute peach. Great fuel consumption too.

+1 my CLK320 petrol was really great on fuel and they cruise at speed completely effortlessly.

Puts the CLS to shame, fuel consumption wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom