CLK c,locking causing embarrassment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dand

Car
C208 230K
Hi there, I hope all are well. Its just a quick one wondering if anyone has any ideas bout what could be wrong with my 2000 (facelift) CLK 230.

Ive been having a bit of trouble with the central locking where the key is working intermittently. It has no trouble starting the car. Sometimes it will open the car no problem and when i come to lock it after my journey the key goes dead and wont lock the car. Some times it helps if i put the key in the ignition and then take it out again or switch the C,L on and off from in the car and then try the key again. Other times it wont let me in so i have to use the manual key to open the car which sets the alarm off.

Initially i thought it could be down to not being used much over the past two months as ive been working from home and the car was stranded on the drive over the snowy period and christmas but its had a few runs since and isnt bad bad but is still playin up a bit. I dont know if it has anything to do with it but thought it might be worth mentioning that both keys are effected but some times alternately work and are stored with the keys to my families cars. the other thing is a few months ago i had some paint work done as the car had been vandalized and the body control unit had been opened up and not resealed properly which lead to a leak in it.

Any ideas is much appreciated.
Cheers guys,

Dan.

Since both keys behave the same way, it must be an issue at the car side. Often it is the antenna amplifier for the remote control. Have you tried to point to the IR receiver at the door handle from close distance? If it works well with IR, then it is likely the RF receiver (usually at the rear window, not sure about the CLK).

IR does not work from far away (should work from 10 metres but try from 1 metre to be sure) and IR signal does not go around the corner, you have to point with the IR transmitter directly to the door handle.

PS. nice to see you have both keys, most often in cases like this the owner only has one key and it makes it more difficult to figure out if the key is misbehaving or the car).

Thanks for the heads up il look into that more. I tried pointing the key (point blank) at the black square on the drivers door handle but no luck, i have noticed that when the key's arent letting me in the car the little red LED in the key dose not flash. Could that be to do with the Antenna?

It is quite likely that iof the red light does not flash it will be a key issue.

Try new batteries first.

Thios maybe he first signs of complete key failure. If they do fail than the car is immobile.

I have a key tester made by sealy. It works a treat testing IR and radio key outputs.

I thought it could be that the key's batteries are low because of the cars gettin on a bit now and was thinkin of changing the battery in one of the keys to test. Is it something you can do at home you dose it need to go in for programing and whatnot?

Aww thats a great relief and worth a try as money is very tight at the mo. Do you know of places that would stock the replacement battery?

Thanks,

Dan

Aww thats a great relief and worth a try as money is very tight at the mo. Do you know of places that would stock the replacement battery?

Thanks,

Dan

Any motor shop or halfords should have them.

Hey guys just a quick update, Ive just got back from Halfords (I was surprised as the place is starting to look a bit de-chaved since my last visit) and have put a new in Battery one of the remotes and touch wood the LED light is stronger and the key seems more responsive when it comes to locking and unlocking the car so far. So fingers crossed its worked :)

Thanks for the help guys its been much appreciated,

Dan :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom