CLK Camshaft Magnets M271 , P0020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W1ghty

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320cdi and CLK200
Went to start the CLK and got an engine management light on the dash . Hauled my trusty icarsoft MB2 from the other car and checked for codes .
P0020 was shown as current with a description of A Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit / Open Bank 2 .
Did a bit of reading and there are 2x Camshaft sensors and 2x Camshaft magnets on the M271 .
A bit more Reading and there was a hint that oil on the magnets could cause this fault code . I know about the magnets leaking on the M271 which is why I fitted the wire blockers a couple of years ago . Good thing to !
I checked one of the magnet electrical connections and low and behold it was full of oil , so I’ve ordered 2 new (MB) magnets , o rings and grommets . Hopefully their arrival will be delayed until warmer weather .
So again , thank you icarsoft :)

I might take some pics when I replace them

I'm expecting this myself at some point too. Pics and details would be appreciated.

Next week , I’m on it buddy
I have the M272 (having thought about it) 😊. Pretty sure they suffer the same or similar issues though and I'm always interested regardless.

just checked the other camshaft magnet on the front of the engine , that’s leaking as well , so double good thing I fitted the blockers .
I think the weekend is looking like decent mild weather for tinkering

Got the magnets replaced today with new O rings and Grommets (which don’t come with the magnets believe it or not ) .
I cleaned up the wire blockers because of the oil at one end of them using electrical contact cleaner
Maybe took 45 mins to do . Used the icarsoft to delete the fault code which extinguished the dash engine management light .
Ive done 2 runs so far totalling an hour and a half , with no issues and no new codes .
About £90 all in .
AE6A9D34-E5F1-49E1-B3C4-64C0D7F42DA0.jpegB456C57A-AF67-46D7-AC5E-1718BC04DD0D.jpeg2F7986BB-B452-4B64-B4CE-5B02BA06F943.jpeg

Supercharger oil ? ? ? ? I thought it used the engine oil.

Thanks, how and where does that go ?

Tiny screw hole low down front of the engine . If you search YouTube for M271 supercharger oil change , there are a few vids
Hi W1ghty

Having fitted the oil blocking connectors to my car today, I had a more detailed look at the connectors and there is more oil evident than I had first seen and so following you again, I have just ordered 2 new cam magnets. I did intend buying genuine MB as you have done but having looked on ebay I decided to order the Pierburg ones which were priced at £40.40 but by using a discount code managed to get them for £67 the pair. The other advantage is that seals are also included. I don't know how they will compare with the genuine items long term but Pierburg is a respected name in the industry so thought I would give them a go.

Thanks for your photos, it will make it much easier for me to fit them when received.

Hi W1ghty

Having fitted the oil blocking connectors to my car today, I had a more detailed look at the connectors and there is more oil evident than I had first seen and so following you again, I have just ordered 2 new cam magnets. I did intend buying genuine MB as you have done but having looked on ebay I decided to order the Pierburg ones which were priced at £40.40 but by using a discount code managed to get them for £67 the pair. The other advantage is that seals are also included. I don't know how they will compare with the genuine items long term but Pierburg is a respected name in the industry so thought I would give them a go.

Thanks for your photos, it will make it much easier for me to fit them when received.
Nice one buddy , let us know how you get on

W1ghty. One of the photos you posted disturbs me greatly . :( . It's the one with two circular metal disc type thingies resting on a wooden table top.

The table in question looks EXACTLY like the ones in my local pub beer garden . You have reminded me of something dark that I have subconsciously forced into the furthest recesses of my mind. Now all the great memories of what once was have come flooding back. 🍻

I hate you. :p

W1ghty. One of the photos you posted disturbs me greatly . :( . It's the one with two circular metal disc type thingies resting on a wooden table top.

The table in question looks EXACTLY like the ones in my local pub beer garden . You have reminded me of something dark that I have subconsciously forced into the furthest recesses of my mind. Now all the great memories of what once was have come flooding back. 🍻

I hate you. :p
Now I’ve got a long forgotten thirst for an outside pint buddy !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom