Clk chirping noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash1212002

Car
W204 c250 cgi facelift petrol 2011
Hi people

Car has developed a chirping noise coming from the engine bay, i suspect it could be the belt, pulley or tensioner

Noise only appears between 30 to 35 mph at which point the noise disappears at higher speed

Any idea which specific item needs to be replaced?

Anything I could check to conclusively determone what needs replacing?

Or could it be something else?

Clk 200 petrol 09 plate 57k

Cheers

Have you got a supercharger? I believe you have?
If its anything like my E55, when the supercharger engages at around 1850rpm the belt often chirps. Its a character of Kompressor engines and nothing to worry over.

Is the chirp momentary or constant, until you reach a higher speed?

Have you got a supercharger? I believe you have?
If its anything like my E55, when the supercharger engages at around 1850rpm the belt often chirps. Its a character of Kompressor engines and nothing to worry over.

Yep it does have a supercharger, but this noise has only just appeared, so it can't be the supercharger

Try removing the 'charger belt and see if the noise stops?

My chirp isn't every time, just now and then.I can drive for weeks without a chirp, then its every time. Comes and goes.
I would monitor it and if you are concerned, take it to a good indy who can diagnose and put your mind at rest.

This is my second clk so the chirping noise is definitely not a characteristic of the vehicle

This is my second clk so the chirping noise is definitely not a characteristic of the vehicle
So, remove the belt and see if it stops? You may have an issue with the clutch or one of the pulleys?

So, remove the belt and see if it stops? You may have an issue with the clutch or one of the pulleys?

Even though the noise is not present at idle or when i rev the engine at idle too

The supercharger doesn't engage at idle or when the engine is rev'd in neutral.

The supercharger doesn't engage at idle or when the engine is rev'd in neutral.

Im confused, but if its the pulley, or tensioner what does this have to do with the super charger?

Is it the same serpentine belt that runs the super charger?

Load?

The noise is only present between 30 to 35mph when i brake it disappears i guess that's because the speed is reduced

My ML had an intermittent chirp for ages, long story short it was slightly low power steering fluid level !

And chirp was a perfect description of the sound.

Michael

Try spraying a bit of wd40 on the drive belt(s) and see if it goes away.
It won’t make the belts slip but it will tie it down to the belt and might even resolve the issue.

Since reporting this issue, the noise has not reappeared, so will be monitoring it. I have some silicone spray and was going to apply some on the belt and pulleys but will hold fire for now until it reappears again

Reactions: Ted
Maybe, I only experienced the noise on that one occasion, will monitor and report back if it arises again

Give em a squirt of silicone spray anyway, its good for all the rubbery bits, seals, belts, etc. WD40 not such a good idea as it contains white spirit which will perish rubber and denature some plastics.

Ok sure will do, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom