CLK COMAND install?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aswall

Car
CLS 350
After being directed here a couple of weeks ago by someone on another car newsgroup with a warning that I would probably end up getting caught up in the enthusiasm and retrofitting COMAND - and swearing blind that that would not happen - guess what?

I am interested in doing this now as the price seems not to be quite as prohibitive as I thought it would be, assuming it can be done to my car, but have a number of questions

1) I am unhappy with the existing stereo and am assuming that COMAND would take up both slots and prohibit the fitting of an aftermarket one, so is the stereo built into COMAND better or is it the same unit?

2) If it is the same unit can it be amplified so that I can use it with a subwoofer and better quality speakers?

3) Is COMAND satnav and tv or is it just a stereo with a display screen with these items as extra cost units on top of the basic display?

4) Will it invalidate any part of my warranty? I would keep all the bits removed as it is a lease car and I would have to return it to standard on completion of the lease

5) Is it possible to use an mp3 changer with COMAND and will it display cd text?

Be very grateful for answers to any of the above questions

Cheers
Andy

1) I am unhappy with the existing stereo and am assuming that COMAND would take up both slots and prohibit the fitting of an aftermarket one, so is the stereo built into COMAND better or is it the same unit?

Probably a bit better, but the output of COMAND is medium quality. If you have the BOSE option, you can get a digital output to the BOSE amp.

2) If it is the same unit can it be amplified so that I can use it with a subwoofer and better quality speakers?

Yes, via BOSE if you have it, or aftermarket but you would need new speakers too.

3) Is COMAND satnav and tv or is it just a stereo with a display screen with these items as extra cost units on top of the basic display?

Standard COMAND is a radio, FM/AM, CD player and sat nav. TV and Nokia car phone as well as speech rec are extra components to it. (COMAND has the software for it already)

4) Will it invalidate any part of my warranty? I would keep all the bits removed as it is a lease car and I would have to return it to standard on completion of the lease

Not really, if you do a good install the dealers probably wont know unless you have problems with it. I retrofited COMAND to my ML and the dealers dont care about it.

5) Is it possible to use an mp3 changer with COMAND and will it display cd text?

With COMAND 2.0 it has an AUX input in the glovebox (you would need to wire this in too) which can be used for MP3 player audio only.

Hope this helps!

Matt.

Originally posted by Aswall
It's a long shot, but if you bought a DVD player adapter for comand and installed a DVD player that would play discs full of MP3s then you would get all the visualisations and cd-text style output through the COMAND screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom